• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pax clapping after landings?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was commuting home on my own airline not long ago when we made an approach to AUS in some pretty heavy rain. It was a full flight and pretty noisy the whole 3.5 hours from EWR with all the weekly NYC commuters drinking/socializing on the way home(I used to put up with this weekly). The last 10 minutes were dark(rain) and the cabin got pretty quiet. The landing was spot on and a grease job. The senior, male, insert the rest of the stereotype flight attendant made an announcement as soon as we started to slow on the runway that surprised me. He said and I quote " And that is why they make the big bucks up there in the cockpit. Sometimes we all forget just how all of our lives are in their hands. On behalf of your Houston based inflight crew, and all of us at Continental; Welcome to Austin Texas....."
The cabin went into applause, and these were Austinites and New Yorkers who travel weekly for business. Kind of a neat moment.

IAHERJ

I do the slow sarcastic clap after pounding one in....
golf clap after a greaser...
-all of these as flying pilot, no less..

Dee..Dee..Dee...

Mookie

I just LMAO when my partner pounds one on. Kind of puts the pressure on though for the next leg.

Gup

I've been riding DH on a lot of airlines in Europe lately and it seems that almost always the passengers clap after landing! I've noticed this flying in Latin/South America as well! Another thing they do is form a huge single file line when boarding is announced! LMAO!!

I find it hilarious, but what's the deal?

They are probably happy that the guy in the right seat with 400 hours that bought his type rating and has a "frozen JAA ATPL" didn't kill them.

Uhhh, what?

You sure you are in the correct forum? :eek:

If you don't think that's funny you just get the he!! off this site right now!!! That's funny right there.

By the way, I have been flying alot of religious people lately. I know this 'cause everytime they get off my aircraft they kiss the ground :)

Transplants from the island (such as myself) usually treat it with mild neglect, as it's all really an indication of lack of cultural exposure.
If you'll notice all the nationionalities who do this clapping, you'll realize its a Catholic thing.

Catholics who are thrilled upon landing,
they cheated death.

Alot of my fellow Catholics make the sign of the cross upon liftoff also. My kids get a real kick of out this.

I've noticed this flying in Latin/South America as well! Another thing they do is form a huge single file line when boarding is announced! LMAO!!

I don't what you've been flying to SA but everytime I ride as a pax I end up doing the stroller dodge and pushing people outta my personal space because they are acting like the airplane is gonna leave without 'em. Not to mention the huge gaggle at the boarding gate that I have to push my way through.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back