• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pax accuse captain of drinking

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Really you guys are arguing minutia and the fine points--do you think our customers will feel any different?

Sorry, the damage has been done, true or not, no matter the facts, the public jury will rule based on the national news--even if the facts result in exoneration. He has tarnished Southwest and his fellow pilots. Moreover, he has tarnished our profession with more bad judgement.

This will be the joke on every late night show and comedy circuit. We will all probably have to talk to others ad-nauseum about the incident and embarassingly have to defend our profession.

It's not like it hasn't happen before, and want happen again. Party hard on an overnight? Geeesh! Save those activities for off the clock events.

We're not in college or high school anymore. Perception is everything. Everytime I have to be drug or alcohol tested, I think about the very small percentage of idiots like this that have brought it on!

Profession's gone dude. It's a low-paying job now. It is fun flying airplanes so that makes it better.

Anybody who uses this career as their sole source of income is an idiot. This is just a fun side-job.

I'm not advocating it, but wonder if a crewmember could sue accusing parties if they are wrongfully accused of drinking prior to a flight. With all the litigation happy people out there, wonder if there's any case to it?

Not if someone had an honest concern in their own mind.

Now if you could prove they did it maliciously just to screw with the guy, that's a whole nother story.

Even if he called after getting to the airport, he can still be safe. As long as you don't get onto the airplane, you can probably dig your way out with the help of the union. You might have to enter the HIMS program, but at least you won't lose your job.

You are kidding right? Just getting on the van and heading towards the airport can be construed as an intent to operate that flight. Amnesty doesn't begin at security, or the gate, or at the end of the jet bridge, it starts with the decision to put on his uniform in the morning and chance it. The 8 hour rule is trumped by the "feeling the effects".

You might argue that he should get due process and the benefit of the doubt, but had his intentions been honorable, he would have spared embrassment to himself, his company, and our professional as a whole by:

1) not being in uniform- had he alreayd called in sick, there would be no reason to be in uniform to deadhead. If he had no other clothes, then wear the shirt without any brass or epaulets.

2) when confronted by concerned pax, assuring them that he would most certainly NOT be operating the flight, and he would just be riding home.

3) not running away... how many people who run on that show "Cops" turn out to be innocent?

I hope people consider their career on those "boring" overnights...

Even if he called after getting to the airport, he can still be safe. As long as you don't get onto the airplane, you can probably dig your way out with the help of the union. You might have to enter the HIMS program, but at least you won't lose your job.

As far as criminal law goes, he's fine...he was not in the vehicle. You can't a DUI for possession of car keys in the parking lot.

FAA, he's fine. Again no way to prove that he was going to get on the airplane. No FAR about drunk in uniform.

He might get in trouble with the company for being out of sorts in public view, but they can't prove he was going to fly either.

My guess is a paid vacation, maybe followed by intervention.

He didn't "run away" as the pax stated to the press. The official statement was that he didn't say a word, pulled out his cell phone, and walked off.

The police officer said he showed no signs of intoxication, although a slight hint of alcohol on his breath. No BAC tests were done, interestingly enough.

The only way you are toast is if you break the threshold of the airplane, or if you refuse any sort of treatment. This case, though, is if you were tested and had alcohol in your system. I'm not sure what the case will be since he seems to be exonerated.

Anybody who uses this career as their sole source of income is an idiot. This is just a fun side-job.

Idiot? What? 80k (regional)-200+k (major) Captain pay range...13,14,15,16,17,18 days off per month, free (mostly), super cheap travel.....is a side-job?

Idiot?

W

Idiot? What? 80k (regional)-200+k (major) Captain pay range...13,14,15,16,17,18 days off per month, free (mostly), super cheap travel.....is a side-job?

Idiot?

W

Regional first officer - 25k/year. It's a job. I've been an airline pilot for over 5 years and I have yet to break 100k in one year. The majority of regional captains out there do not make 80k. Per Diem does not count.

Latest resources

Back