• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pax accuse captain of drinking

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Regional first officer - 25k/year. It's a job. I've been an airline pilot for over 5 years and I have yet to break 100k in one year. The majority of regional captains out there do not make 80k. Per Diem does not count.

Hmmm...So do you equate professionalism with the amount of income one makes?

Who forced you to take the job? Did you research the income potential before you committed the funds to get qualified? Is this your first job? Apparently, you have never had a bad job to know how good you have it!

There are plenty of qualified and professional pilots that would be glad to have your $25,000 F/O job!

I know of at least 80 of them!

Hold off jumping to conclusions. Maybe he was just commuting. Theres more to this story.

let's get the details first

I stand by my judgement.

The definition of a pilot who has had too much to drink is: any pilot who has had more than me.

This guy got lucky and called in sick before the police showed up. Thus, no blood or breath test.

You guys at SWA sure know how to "party hard" and get away with it.

You are kidding right? Just getting on the van and heading towards the airport can be construed as an intent to operate that flight. Amnesty doesn't begin at security, or the gate, or at the end of the jet bridge, it starts with the decision to put on his uniform in the morning and chance it. The 8 hour rule is trumped by the "feeling the effects".

You might argue that he should get due process and the benefit of the doubt, but had his intentions been honorable, he would have spared embrassment to himself, his company, and our professional as a whole by:

1) not being in uniform- had he alreayd called in sick, there would be no reason to be in uniform to deadhead. If he had no other clothes, then wear the shirt without any brass or epaulets.

2) when confronted by concerned pax, assuring them that he would most certainly NOT be operating the flight, and he would just be riding home.

3) not running away... how many people who run on that show "Cops" turn out to be innocent?

I hope people consider their career on those "boring" overnights...

1) so he can bring home his more that 3 oz of duty free booze

2) knock their teeth out

3) I am sure that one tall mans quick stride can be mistaken for a run by a shorter person with pilot envy

Dudes...

I think we're all missing the point here....

The alcohol rules are obsolete, arbitrary, and based on old DC-3 flying.

With modern training, automation, and CRM, I motion we raise the limit to 0.08 and 2 hours...

Any seconds on that?

Somertimes people see, smell and read what they want to.

Did the captain take off running, or did he simply walk briskly away from passengers saying stupid ******************** in a terminal? Did he grogily say "I've been parying hard, WOO HOO!" or was he saying "I partied a little hard last night, and I'm kinda tired."?

Passengers that want to make accusations will think speedstick smell like booze. Passengers that WANT to see something will think a tired pilot who may be fighting a head cold is drunk off his butt.

The jury is still out on this guy. We could all find ourselves in equally retarded positions. Let's give the guy the benefit of the doubt 'til empirical data is in.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back