Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CaptBuzzard

I'm back!
Come on you people, don't cancel your trips because of a war.

I keep seeing things on the news that these idiots are canceling their trips for spring break and other things. Ok, I can understand why someone may not want to fly to lets say Tel Aviv, or somewhere in that region. I can even understand some places in Europe too. How about just don't go somewhere that has a high number of Muslim people. Not all support Hussein, but many do.

The people that are canceling domestic flights because of the war, give me a break. More than likely nothing will happen. I would feel safe on any domestic flight and most international flights right now. I wouldn't book a trip to Cairo right now, even though someday I would like to see Egypt. People just need to know that sure right now some places are not very safe for Americans, but most of Europe is still safe for us.

I don't think that the gov't is completely responsible for helping out the airlines, however I do think that when a country does make a decision to go to war and spend 75 billion or more, and like 3 or 4 billion is for neighboring arab countries to keep political relations good, I do think that they can give a little to the airlines.

Some airlines made bad business decisions over the past few years and are unfortunately paying the price now, but too bad for them. I don't want to see anyone lose their jobs, but those companies made those choices to expand greatly and buy hundreds of new planes when things were going great. When things go great, it won't last forever so maybe better long term planning for times like these would be the right thing to do. Realistically, the industry won't get much better until the economy does and when these chicken $hit people will start flying again.

Whether they are chicken poop or not, the pax are scared, and that's the reality of it. Our telling them that everything is okay doesn't help, and we just have to deal.

Of course maybe it's not that they're actually scared, but that they just don't want to spend the money until they are convinced that the war is going to come to an end.

Either way, I've been flying around airplanes that are at least 2/3 full for the last few weeks, so I don't know where this dropoff in travel is coming from, unless it's a reduction in advanced bookings that is the "evidence" that people aren't willing to fly.

Purely for selfish reasons, I was hoping just a few people would cancel their travel plans in and out of Las Vegas. Commuting to and from the house is a royal pain and I could sure use a few weeks of ease.. No luck though.. Flights are still oversold on that route!

I haven't seen a drop in loads on any flights. I've been flying on US Air and America West to get where ever, and most flights are still oversold or near oversold..

My step mother was supposed to fly in for the weekend (ROC-CLT, two cities high on the terrorist list) but her husband doesn't want her to fly "during a war" so she has canceled. Sometimes war is a good thing! -Bean D :D :D

War / terrorism or not, you can't live your life in fear. I've had a trip to Germany and Greece planned for several months and I'm still going, next week. Gotta support the airlines with my low airfare!:)

Latest resources

Back