Passenger carry-ons in the cockpit?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mugs

I was packing my bag the other day while that SWA Airline show was on the TV. A passenger came down the jetway with a stuffed pheasant that had the wings stretched out. Naturally, it made you wonder where it could possibly be stowed. I glanced back at the TV a minute later and they appeared to have a solution. If I saw things correctly, it appeared as though the Captain intervened and stowed the pheasant in the cockpit. Once he had done that, they shut the door and were on their way. Did I see that right? I couldn't believe he would stow a passenger carry-on up front, especially with the camera rolling.

I thought maybe I was just getting the wrong impression since I wasn't paying much attention to the show. Any SWA folks care to comment?

I think this FAR is what covers items being carried in the cockpit, but I am not sure. I know that it has happened at other airlines besides SWA. But, I think a lot of that happened prior to 9/11.

I think the only exception to this FAR is carrying of human organs. We always had to have those in the cockpit.

§121.576 Retention of items of mass in passenger and crew compartments.

The certificate holder must provide and use means to prevent each item of galley equipment and each serving cart, when not in use, and each item of crew baggage, which is carried in a passenger or crew compartment from becoming a hazard by shifting under the appropriate load factors corresponding to the emergency landing conditions under which the airplane was type certificated. [Doc. No. 16383, 43 FR 22648, May 25, 1978]

Stifler's Mom said:
Or, similar to "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" where the deer comes back to life in the car.

I thought that was Tommy Boy! Was it the same gag?????

Unless there are other sections, that FAR only specifies that those items it mentions must be able to be secured. It places no limitation on other items, nor does it specify any particular location for any item.

Latest resources

Back