Passed the CFI initial today

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cookmg

Showed up at 8:30. 10 hours later, I had my certificate in hand.

Had a great experience. Really learned a lot. This particular FAA inspector really helped me believe that we have some good guys on the inside.

I'd be happy to share the details for any of you that are close to the ride. Right now, I need to get some sleep. I report for my new job tomorrow morning. This is really ridiculous. Just think of the responsibility that I now assume. Wow!

Thanks to the many posters who have helped me out over the past year.

Mike

Welcome to life on the right side! Enjoy :)

CONGRATULATIONS!

Now, to help market yourself in the future, join NAFI (National Association of Flight Instructors) and start working on your Master CFI designation.

You have to be a CFI for two years and complete a bunch of requirements. But, if you start now and complete your portfolio as you go, then when two years is up you will have a completed package to send in and, wallaa!

Here is the link to the Master CFI program and the NAFI homepage. Let me know if there is anything that I can do to help you.

http://www.nafinet.org/mastercfi/index.html

Good luck...

Congratulations!

Mike,

You're right about that. It's an awesome responsibility. Know your limits before you step out to fly. Take care.

Congrats!

As the examiner with whom I passed my CFI initial put it, you are now another unemployed flight instructor. :)

I, personally, would appreciate a post on what was covered in your practical.

Once again, congratulations! Good luck with your initial batch of students.

Well done!

Now, you not only start to really learn aviation, but you also start to learn about the business of flight instruction, and the array of human factors.

Not every student is on a professional pilot track. They may not be highly motivated or focused if they are not aspiring airline pilots. On the other hand, the wealthy over-acheiver may be your best prepared student of all, having faced dozens of personal and professional challenges, and may complete the program in record time.

Some students just want to have fun, and will exhibit a degree of resentment if you remain "too" focused on instruction, per se. Often, this desire is subliminal and contradictory to what they have actually said to you. This can be one of those defense mechanisms you read about when you studied the psychology of learning. If "fun" is why the student is there, then find creative ways to present everything you can.

Some students are there because of their parent(s). Try to get them to speak frankly about what they see as their goals. Match their challenges to their level of interest.

Always have a sic sac ready, but keep it hidden. Even the most enthusiastic student or passenger can suddenly need that bag.

That's just the short list, before I've had my morning coffee. If I do well and get some national spots on TV, I may be flying again myself.

Enjoy it. It may be the time you long for when it ends.

cookmg said:
Right now, I need to get some sleep. I report for my new job tomorrow morning.

I take it you here hired by the club/FBO you got your CFI with. Congratulations on the new job!

I'm currently working towards my initial CFI. It seems like it's taking forever and costing much more than I thought it would. This may just be a result of me being a mooooron.

I have a few questions if you've got the time.......

How long did it take you from the time you first started studying the ground stuff until you were signed off for the check ride?

How many flight hours did you spend in the airplane?

Did you have all of your lesson plans done ahead of the exam?

Did you fly with a DE or somebody from the FSDO?

Thanks in advance for your reply. Congrats on the new ticket.

Seattle

Latest resources

Back