Part time helo's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

XR1

I currently fly a bizjet based in Las Vegas. I get plenty of time off (mostly unscheduled) and have recently toyed with the idea of getting back into the helo world to do some part-time flying. My last helo flight was 16 years ago in the Marine Corps (like riding a bike...right?). I've got 1600 hrs of turbine helo time of which 900 is PIC. Would a tour operator even be interested in me and if so, what kind of spool-up training would be required? We operate our planes with minimum crews, so getting away to do contract work is nearly impossible since those flights usually involve overnights and we need to be around for the occasional pop-up. Any thoughts?

I'd bet that someone would definitely be interested. The real challenge will probably be finding an operator who will be compatible and cooperate with your schedule.

I hadn't flown a helicopter in 11 years (Marine Corps CH-53's), and I was hired by an air ambulance operator who not only hired me -- they made me the lead pilot at one of their new bases. I did, however, fly and instruct in fixed-wing for the last eight of those 11 years.

If you're average (as I consider myself) the helo skills will resurface pretty quickly. I was comfortably flying the line/lead in a single engine ship in the hills of Kentucky at night with less than 5 hours of company training -- although I did fly about 1200 hours in the same basic model helicopter while an instructor on active duty.

Good luck in your efforts.

Semper Fi.

'

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back