Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Part Time Commercial Pilot - Is there any such thing?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

KDoobone

Hi, this is my first post and I just learning how to use this site. I am a commercial pilot, multi, with an instrument rating. I have 550TT with 20 multi. I live on Long Island and am interested in some right seat time. Is this possible? I do have a career job other than flying, that's why it must be part time.

KDoobone.

Last edited:

Hi, this is my first post and I just learning how to use this site. It's easy. Just hurl insults and mispell words. I am a commercial pilot, multi, with an instrument rating. I have 550TT with 20 multi. 6 months ago this would have put you in the right seat of an RJ full-time. I live on Long Island and am interested in some right seat time. Is this possible? yes. There are many ops around the airports doing single pilot charter and need seat warmers. You can fly and log non-rev legs. I do have a career job other than flying, that's why it must be part time. network and on occasion you'll get calls to fill-in for a trip. You'll get paid for the day. Most of it is waiting for a cutomer turnaorund. VERY boring. Bring laptop along and talk sheet on this MB.

KDoobone.

I'm sure you don't want to hear this, but get a CFI rating if you don't have it already, instruct and network while your at it. Long Island has a lot of opportunities, but you need to be around the field (FRG and ISP) a lot to get the contacts that will get you in the air....and getting some more time under your belt won't hurt either.

RR

Hi, this is my first post and I just learning how to use this site. I am a commercial pilot, multi, with an instrument rating. I have 550TT with 20 multi. I live on Long Island and am interested in some right seat time. Is this possible? I do have a career job other than flying, that's why it must be part time.

KDoobone.

There are plenty of places with Citations that will let you fly as SIC, for the flight time. That's how I built my multi time up, instead of wasting time on instructing in piston twins.

There are plenty of places with Citations that will let you fly as SIC, for the flight time. That's how I built my multi time up, instead of wasting time on instructing in piston twins.

Listen to him, he's a brilliant aviator!!!:puke:

AmishRake's post was right on the money. I've done it off and on for a couple years. There ain't NO WAY I'm going to quit my day job to fly, but I sure love doing it now and then.

CFI? No way ... heard too many stories about newbies trying to kill their instructor. :D Maybe when I'm old and don't have many years to live anyway.

By the way ... never warm a seat for free when a pro could be doing it to feed his or her family. Either get paid when an FO is required, or do flights that don't require an FO to fly empty legs for free. The owners won't respect you and the locals will hate you.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back