Part 91 required inspections (turbojet)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mason

Can someone give me just a broad interpretation of what are required inspections for a turbojet aircraft (Lear 20 series) operated under Part 91.

Do folks normally do annuals or is this requirement covered by progressive inspections/phases and does anyone know in general what is required for this type aircraft?

Thanks

Under 135 an approved progressive inspection program negates the need for an annual as long as all phases are completed within a year.

FAR 91.409(f)(3) A current inspection program recommended by the manufacture
or
FAR 91.409(f)(4) Any other inspection program approved by the administrator

Your FSDO has to approve any program you select.

Than there are the 24 month checks for the Altimeter system and ATC Transponder system

There are other required inspections depending on the type of equipment installed that would be incorporated into you program.

If its large (over 12,500 lbs) or turbine powered, it must be on an approved aircraft inspection program.

We had to write a program for the B-17 and the P-38 because of the gross weight issues, and I had to write a program for the TS-11 Iskra (single engined jet trainer) because of the engine. It wasn't a big deal, I merged FAR 43, Appendix D with the military manuals, and the FSDO approved it.

Any program you can sell to the FAA will do. Save yourself the worry; put it on CAMPS and forget it.

Agrees with Avbug, but....

Any program you can sell to the FAA will do. Save yourself the worry; put it on CAMPS and forget it.

Um, although I agree with Avbug, CAMPS is probably the best maintenance tracking (inspection) tool out there, BUT it is NOT an approved documentation reconized by the FAA. You will still have to sign off all paperwork and log book entries accomplished by applicable chapter 5 inspection program.

Cuddos to CAMP, they provide that information with the paperwork.

In short, I would not sign off a 12 month inspection on a Lear 20 stating that I used CAMP documentation for my reference of being complied with by.

To my knowledge (limited as it may) the only maintenance tracking tool out there that IS approved is CMP for Gulfstreams and that is because it is controled and monitored BY Gulfstream (OEM). I think CESCOM may also be, but not sure of that.

Can someone give me just a broad interpretation of what are required inspections for a turbojet aircraft (Lear 20 series) operated under Part 91.

Do folks normally do annuals or is this requirement covered by progressive inspections/phases and does anyone know in general what is required for this type aircraft?

Thanks

Mason, I believe the airframe must be maintained in accordance with the manufactures program to maintain it's airworthiness.

Some 91 operators modify these programs...I flew a plane that came from a 91 operator with a modified program, and in that case the mx schedule had the FAA's blessing.

The decision to modify the manufactures recommended program would lie in how you like to schedule down-time. Some 91 operators like to put the plane down for longer periods of time to acomplish inspections, while other operators...typically higher utilization folks, like to split these larger inspections into several small inspections that can be done in between trips.

Hope this helps.

Latest resources

Back