Part 91/135 Takeoff Mins

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Boris Badenov

Departure airport is reporting 0/0. Can Pilot X legally depart in a turbine twin for another airport where he will begin a part 135 leg?

Be careful with that...your FOM probably has some language about departing Part 91. For example it may say for Part 91 you need 1/8th sm or you need 500 ft visibility as determined by you.

FARs-wise yes, you may depart 0-0 Part 91. As the previous post said, check your company minimums in the FOM, GOM or SOPs to make sure you don't violate those.

We prohibit it at our place because it is not a good safety practice and it so written in our GOM. You must meet lower than standard take off minimums any time the visibility is lower than 1 SM.

I thought if an aircraft was repositioned for the purposes of conducting a 135 flight that the reposition leg had to be operated under 135 as well. Unless the reposition leg was to the home base.

Last edited:
Non-Rev

I thought if an aircraft was repositioned for the purposes of conducting a 135 flight that the reposition leg had to be operated under 135 as well. Unless the reposition leg was to the home base.
If there is no revenue on board you can use 91 rules flying into a 135 pick up point, but you must count all of the 91 time on that leg toward flight and duty limitations.

Last edited:
I did the "91 repo" several times at Ameriflight.

The couriers would all drive out to the "repo" airport and load us there.

FWIW also did the converse, landing at an airport that was above landing visibility mins, instead of the actual destination which because of 135 reqts we couldn't begin the approach.

Nope, thre is no such requirement. You may be mixing up flight time requirements. If you do a 91 repo flight before part 135 flying, the 135 flight time limits must be figures including the time of the part 91 repo leg. That makes snese if you think about it. the goal is to not have fatuiged pilots flying revenue flights, and the first repo leg is just as fatuiging if it was under part 91 as part 135.

Repo legs *after* part 135 flying is complete are wide open, however.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back