Part 23 or 25?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

livin'thesim

Are very many business jets certified under part 23, or are most part 25. I've been searching the FAA website, but have not been able to find much help.

My understanding is that most jets are part 25 except for some of the smaller ones like the CJ's and the Premier.

While I'm asking questions, are there very many business jets that fall into the small aircraft category? I thought that the earllier citations were under 12,500.

I'm not sure what the cutoff is between Part 23 certification and Part 25 certification, but in order to be certificated single-pilot, I think it needs to be Part 23 AND 12,500 lbs or less. CJ's and the Premier are probably Part 23 airplanes, as the Eclipse 500 will be when it's certificated. If you look at the Type Certificate Data Sheet (TCDS) on the FAA's web site, it should tell you the certification basis for the aircraft.

Older Citations (I's, II's, etc.) were actually certificated under Part 25 or Part 23. The 500's and 550's are two-pilot airplanes, where the 501's and 551's are single-pilot versions. The difference is some equipment, and the 551 is only a 12,500# airplane vs the 550's 14,000# or so...I think they actually had some up to 15,500#, but I haven't flown Cit II's much, so I don't know.

Last edited:
The Lear 23 was a part 23 airplane as well. There are some others out there as well - the Paris jet for example.

'Sled

MauleSkinner said:
I'm not sure what the cutoff is between Part 23 certification and Part 25 certification, but in order to be certificated single-pilot, I think it needs to be Part 23 AND 12,500 lbs or less.

The Metro 3 heavy is 16000 lbs, is part 23 and SFAR 41 and is single piot certified. The first Metro though was under 12500 lbs

Latest resources

Back