Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Junior2

The one and only
I have an offer to be the chief instructor at a part 141 school. This would be full time offer at an FBO that has previously been just Part 61. I have the hours to go to other things, and enough 135 and ME time to go to any Regional, but if the pay is right...I would do this instead. HOW MUCH SHOULD I ASK FOR????? I have worked for this company before, and they are very good guys. The interview will be lunch and discussion of duties and pay.

your responses are much appreciated!

...Seattle Area

Last edited:
Junior2 said:
I have an offer to be the chief instructor at a part 141 school. This would be full time offer at an FBO that has previously been just Part 61. I have the hours to go to other things, and enough 135 and ME time to go to any Regional, but if the pay is right...I would do this instead. HOW MUCH SHOULD I ASK FOR????? I have worked for this company before, and they are very good guys. The interview will be lunch and discussion of duties and pay.

your responses are much appreciated!

...Seattle Area

What FBO? PM me if you wish.

Part 141 Chief Instructor? I wouldn't wish that job on my worst enemy. Pay and QOL are two separate things.

-Goose

Edit: I guess it could be a good job if you have a disposition for that type of thing--you'd get to sleep in your own bed every night. But I watch what my 141 CI and ACIs go through, and I think I'd rather just fly.

Last edited:
In 1999 my beginning salary for the job you are describing was $48K, company paid medical/dental for me and my family, expense account, and 2 weeks vacation. This was based on a 40-45 hour work week. There was no company funded retirement or 401K. I was responsible for 22 a/c, about 60 full time commercial program students, 5 mechanics, roughly 20 CFI's, and 10 administrative/support staff. After a year and a half the salary had increased to $66K but I was also putting in more like 50 hours a week. I was home every night and I was off weekends. It was a decent job and I garnered some great experience about what it takes to run an aviation business. I left to go fly at a regional for $16 an hour.:eek:

Latest resources

Back