Part 135 vs Part 91 Startup Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

WolfManPack

I have an opportunity to get involved in a Part 135 startup. The company I will be working for has a courier service that they plan on using the Part 135 certificate for.

My question is to those of you who might know, is it possible for them to, at least initially, use an aircraft on a Part 91 basis to transport things like specimens, medical devices/equip, etc for this courier business or is there no way around the Part 135 certificate for this type of operation.

Seems to me I remmeber that as long as you, a Part 91 operator, only charged the companies you were performing services for the cost of aircraft operation and did not charge a anything more than that for a profit that you were okay.

Having said that, I'm not looking for a way to cheat this system here or bend the rules. I am honestly looking for absolute answers that prevent the operation (and me) from getting into trouble with the FAA. We want to run an honest operation here and I need to know what is permissible and what is not....that's all.

But then again I've been out of the Part 91 business for quite some time and so most of the rules associated with these types of operations are a little bit fuzzy at this point.

I did call the FAA already for clarification but they haven't gotten back to me yet so I'm trying to find out this information on my own for now.

Thanks in advance to any of you that could shed some light on this issue.

If someone is paying for cargo to be moved it becomes a part 135 op. You may want to consider trying to 'piggyback' on someone else's certificate until you guys are fully certified. I am not sure of any loophole you may use, but I would not count on the FAA interpreting any gray area as gray (especially now-a-days).

Good luck
Greed

Forget about bending rules!!!!!!!

I have an opportunity to get involved in a Part 135 startup. The company I will be working for has a courier service that they plan on using the Part 135 certificate for.

My question is to those of you who might know, is it possible for them to, at least initially, use an aircraft on a Part 91 basis to transport things like specimens, medical devices/equip, etc for this courier business or is there no way around the Part 135 certificate for this type of operation.

Seems to me I remmeber that as long as you, a Part 91 operator, only charged the companies you were performing services for the cost of aircraft operation and did not charge a anything more than that for a profit that you were okay.

Having said that, I'm not looking for a way to cheat this system here or bend the rules. I am honestly looking for absolute answers that prevent the operation (and me) from getting into trouble with the FAA. We want to run an honest operation here and I need to know what is permissible and what is not....that's all.

Hey WolfManPack dude,if I were you I would consult with an aviation attorney and your local FSDO office to see what you can and cannot do!!!!
I would forget about trying to cheat,or bend the rules,as you call it,not in this type of political climate!!!!!!!

You cannot move people or cargo for hire. Whether or not you actually make a profit is not relevant.

The only way the flight can be part 91 is if you are carrying company personell or company owned cargo for company business with zero compensation.

Thank You

Thanks for all the replies guys.

It sounds as if my assumption was correct that it's probably going to require a 135 operation to do what he wants to do.

I did try contacting my local FSDO but no return call yet.

Thanks again for all the info....and especially the piggy backing recommendation. This might be a good option initially at least.

R

You shouldn't have called the FSDO.

The FAA only do base inspections at established 135 outfits where they know the paperwork will be in order.

Then they go to lunch.

Meanwhile while I am filling out my duty logs guys are running illegal charters all day in all manner of aircraft and call it a dry lease.

Stretch dry lease as far as you want and no one will pay any attention.

!!

WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!!!! This is not a "shared costs" situation like you have in your Cessna 172. Unless you own it, if you fly it - whether or not you are getting paid - it's a Part 135 flight. I started a 135 from scratch - not a job for the faint of heart - and got sick of losing out on contracts to "Part 134 1/2" operations.

You might find a certified 135 operator who has the same type of aircraft to add you to their certificate, but before the FAA will process your application you need to have exclusive use of at least one airplane. If it's on someone else's certificate, you don't have exclusive use.

Good luck.

Latest resources

Back