Part 135 Mandatory Retirement Age??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

EastofI-5

Hey, I have searched this forum, and others for an answer to my question and haven't found anything. Wondering if somebody can help me out...

It's concerning International Operations for US part 135 carriers and maximum pilot ages.

Amendment 167 to Annex 1 states:

2.1.10.1 A Contracting State, having issued pilot licences, shall not permit the holders thereof to act as pilot-in-command of an aircraft engaged in international commercial air transport operations if the licence holders have attained their 60th birthday or, in the case of operations with more than one pilot where the other pilot is younger than 60 years of age, their 65th birthday.
2.1.10.2 Recommendation.— A Contracting State, having issued pilot licences, should not permit the holders thereof to act as co-pilot of an aircraft engaged in international commercial air transport operations if the licence holders have attained their 65th birthday.

It seems to me that this says 2 things, first the maximum age for a PIC of any International part -135 carrier is age 65. The second is that one of the 2 pilots in the cockpit MUST be under the age of 60 years old, ie no 63 year old capt and 60 year old FO.

So my question is how does Flex Jet, NJI, NJA handle this? Is it just that since this is an ICAO "reg" it's not mandatory? One would be required to check with the regulatory body of the country in which one was operating to determine that particular countries regs?
Any help on understanding on this would be appreciated, esp from any of you that work at any of the above mentioned companies...

Thanks in advance guys.

NetJets is so awesome that it can choose which regulations that it wants to abide by.....

A joke really......just trying to keep spirits up..:)

We're so awesome across in NJE, the age has changed in line with ICAO to 65 - & it even required an amendment to Portuguese law, we are that stupendous!! ;)

Age isn't a factor for me. I am awesome.

Since I am awesome, by definition I have awesome hair. Nice try. Flylow OWNED!!! BWAAAHAHAHAHA

so I guess nobody knows.... is NetJets sending 65+ guys out as PIC on international trips? Does anybody know? and sending 2 60+ guys out together?

<<<< .....is NetJets sending 65+ guys out as PIC on international trips? >>>>

This is the ICAO "blurb" - "65+" would require specific state authorization:
Age limit for flight crew
Amendment 167 to Annex 1
The ICAO Council adopted on 10 March 2006 an amendment to Annex 1 — Personnel Licensing that increases by five years the upper age limit for commercial pilots operating two-pilot aircraft, subject to conditions. The new provisions become applicable on 23 November 2006 and read as follows:
2.1.10.1 A Contracting State, having issued pilot licences, shall not permit the holders thereof to act as pilot-in-command of an aircraft engaged in international commercial air transport operations if the licence holders have attained their 60th birthday or, in the case of operations with more than one pilot where the other pilot is younger than 60 years of age, their 65th birthday.
2.1.10.2 Recommendation.A Contracting State, having issued pilot licences, should not permit the holders thereof to act as co-pilot of an aircraft engaged in international commercial air transport operations if the licence holders have attained their 65th birthday. 1) Pilot-in-Command aged 60-64 years of age
In accordance with Article 33 of the Convention on International Civil Aviation, the amendment means that if a pilot-in-command (PIC) is 60 years of age or over but less than 65 years of age and is engaged in operations with more than one pilot, he/she cannot be prevented by reason of age from operating in airports or the airspace of any ICAO Contracting State as long as at least one other pilot is under 60 years of age. For single-pilot commercial air transport operations, the upper age limit remains at 60 years. A State may impose a lower maximum age limit than that specified by ICAO in § 2.1.10.1 for the licenses it issues but it cannot prevent, by reason of age, an aircraft from another State operated by a PIC holding a licence issued or validated by that State, who is below the ICAO upper age limit, from operating in the airspace above its territory.
2) Pilot-in-Command 65 years of age and over
Articles 39 and 40 of the Convention are also relevant to the age limit of pilots-in-command engaged in commercial air transport operations as they authorize international flights by flight crew who do not meet all international licensing Standards, provided that an authorization is given by each State into which the aircraft is operated. Those seeking information concerning States that may authorize pilots to fly in their airspace after reaching the age of 65 years are advised to contact individual Civil Aviation Authorities
3) Augmented crews
In commercial long-range air transport, the designated flight crew may be augmented, and can number three, four or even more pilots. In the case of flight crew comprising more than two pilots, the intent of § 2.1.10.1 is to ensure that, when the pilot-in-command is over 60 but less than 65 years of age, the operating flight crew includes at least one other pilot, who is licensed, appropriately rated for all phases of flight, current, and younger than 60 years of age. It is suggested that during high workload phases of flight (such as flight below 10,000 feet above ground level) at least one pilot seated at the controls should be under 60 years of age.
4) Medical Assessment
When over 60, a six-monthly medical assessment is necessary (ICAO specifies an annual medical assessment for those under 60 years who are engaged in two-pilot operations).

Even the French finally went along with the age 65 deal! :p

Latest resources

Back