Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Part 135 Mandatory Retirement Age for Int'l Ops??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

EastofI-5

Hey, I have searched this forum, and others for an answer to my question and haven't found anything. Wondering if somebody can help me out...

It's concerning International Operations for US part 135 carriers and maximum pilot ages.

Amendment 167 to Annex 1 states:

2.1.10.1 A Contracting State, having issued pilot licences, shall not permit the holders thereof to act as pilot-in-command of an aircraft engaged in international commercial air transport operations if the licence holders have attained their 60th birthday or, in the case of operations with more than one pilot where the other pilot is younger than 60 years of age, their 65th birthday.
2.1.10.2 Recommendation.— A Contracting State, having issued pilot licences, should not permit the holders thereof to act as co-pilot of an aircraft engaged in international commercial air transport operations if the licence holders have attained their 65th birthday.

It seems to me that this says 2 things, first the maximum age for a PIC of any International part -135 carrier is age 65. The second is that one of the 2 pilots in the cockpit MUST be under the age of 60 years old, ie no 63 year old capt and 60 year old FO.

So my question is how does Flex Jet, NJI, NJA handle this? Is it just that since this is an ICAO "reg" it's not mandatory? Or would one would be required to check with the regulatory body of the country in which one was operating to determine that particular countries regs?
Any help on understanding on this would be appreciated, esp from any of you that work at any of the above mentioned companies...

Thanks in advance guys.

What you are saying is true. Both the age 65 and the crew pairing. It is an ICAO rule that applies in the countries that have signed the ICAO agreement (that part of it the USA does not agree with and has an exception on file) Some US operators have been caught in Europe and fined and not allowed to fly the aircraft out of the country without a valid (age) crew.

Age 65 International

The way I understood it was this.......

If the PIC is over 65 the SIC must be under age 60. Just my 2 cents. I could be wrong, I just remember reading this somewhere (sorry no reference).

ICAO is sort of like a UN Resolution which is to say not very meaningful. Ultimately the rules of the country in which your operating will apply and those rules will have been shaped to some extent by ICAO.

Latest resources

Back