Part 135 jobs?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

walter8484

Hey guys. I'm a commercial pilot with 450 TT and 50 multi. I don't really want to instruct? Where do I go to get some sort of flight job?

Flying jobs are pretty scarce right now for low-time pilots, especially those without the desire or qualifications to flight instruct.

135.243 lists the required qualifications, 500 hrs is minimum even for a VFR pilot. Realistically, 135 ops that have a use for VFR pilots are extremely rare.
You may find something, banner-tow, jump plane pilot, traffic watch, etc. Air ambulance outfits (fixed-wing) sometimes hire low-time SIC's, might not be a bad place to get a foot in the door, but don't expect to build time very fast.
With things starting to clamp down due to the current economic issues, you may have to come up with a different plan in order to build more time (i.e. re-consider the CFI route).

I agree with reconsidering the CFI route. If you are able to go down to Florida there are many flight schools looking for full time CFI's right now. Many of these schools are busy due to foreign contracts from India and Asia. You can easily make $35,000-$40,000 a year flying your but off! However if you decide this route you will need a lot of patience.

Hey guys. I'm a commercial pilot with 450 TT and 50 multi. I don't really want to instruct? Where do I go to get some sort of flight job?

You'd better lose that attitude real quick if you want to fly. Almost every airline, regional and major, are furloughing. There are guys with 10-20 times the flight experience you have begging for jobs. If you are even lucky enough to get a CFI job, you'd better cling to it for dear life.

Tours, skydiving, pipeline, mapping, traffic watch. These jobs are out there, and not of much interest to 'shiny jet' pilots (pay might be one reason). You must have 500 hrs for 135 VFR ops. Become familiar with the 135 regs, mins, ops rules, duty/rest, etc. I left 121 to come back to 135 (flying a Beaver on floats, it's a gas), and I'm almost the youngest guy on the roster at 40. It's not a 'nowhere nothing' job, when you find a niche that few can find training to do. BTW, I'm still working with a decent wage while many of my 121 regional buds are working at Home Depot for food money.

Keep building your hours. My advice is to always go for the PIC time. Forget SIC until you have what you need in PIC. That means finding a company that'll start you off in a single, say a 206 or 207, and move you up to a twin after proving yourself. Build the twin PIC until you have at least 1,000 hrs, then you can go and sit right seat somewhere else.

That's just my take on things. Good luck!

Ronin

Flight instruct. Your judgment and skill will improve greatly.

If you've got the cash, go get a PIC rating in something like a Lear and find some contract SIC work.

I start a new job on Nov 5th... there is hiring into the winter, just not 'touristy' jobs. These jobs make you work, but offer the most incredible experiences.

Most times, in my experience, those that walk in and shake some hands, then follow up with a phone call or two are the first ones offered the jobs. Especially those jobs that weren't advertised. My last two jobs were like that: one was about to advertise an opening when I called, the other never has to advertise, usually using inside recommendations. Up in Alaska, just being there makes a huge difference.

Anyway, good luck and work hard. Check in and tell us what you find!

Ronin

Latest resources

Back