Part 135 Certification

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Cappy

I am looking for someone to contact regarding setup of a 135 certificate.

Specifically I and some fellow pilots are seriously considering this route and I need to cover some issues like:

- How did you research your market?

- Aircraft financing

- Working with Sentient or fractional providers for extra flying

- Hidden costs to be aware of

- Accounting and tax issues

- Why did you choose your acft type?

Of course I could go on forever but there are some of my questions. I would prefer someone in the Northern Virginia/Baltimore area for a possible personal meeting but all are welcome. PM me please.

Thanks and fly safely.

Last edited:
Where are you looking to setup?

Contact the NBAA. They have a great document for start-up 135 guys. Takes you right through the certifiction phases (which can take years in some FSDOs). They can also answer any tax questions you may have.

In my opinion the easiest way to have a succesful 135 company is to manage the aircraft on your certificate (read: don't buy and operate your own aircraft). Sentient, EJM, FlexJet can fill-in your schedule, but they usually require you to have been in business for at least one year and have completed an in-depth on-site audit by ARG/US, Wyvern, etc. I wouldn't plan on relying on them for charter, but it is great when they fill in a slow week. As far as hidden costs.... its aviation. Hidden costs are everywhere. Just need to plan for them.

mike1mc said:
Contact the NBAA. They have a great document for start-up 135 guys. Takes you right through the certifiction phases (which can take years in some FSDOs). They can also answer any tax questions you may have.

In my opinion the easiest way to have a succesful 135 company is to manage the aircraft on your certificate (read: don't buy and operate your own aircraft). Sentient, EJM, FlexJet can fill-in your schedule, but they usually require you to have been in business for at least one year and have completed an in-depth on-site audit by ARG/US, Wyvern, etc. I wouldn't plan on relying on them for charter, but it is great when they fill in a slow week. As far as hidden costs.... its aviation. Hidden costs are everywhere. Just need to plan for them.

Thanks for the info. Getting certificate itself isn't the main concern. I have written manuals before for the FAA and I understand the process. So, what you are saying is that it is better to manage someone elses acft than to risk not having enough business for my own...interesting. I have heard this before as well.

Thanks for your insights.

Mike

The main idea is that someone else is footing the bill for conformity (certification), maintenance, etc. Basically a lot less risk involved and there is no conflict of interest between flying charter and doing maintenance (as an example). Not to say that it is any easier (you have to keep the REAL boss happy).

Unless you find a niche market, one thing you need to remember is that of all the aircraft you see on charter certificates, especially jet equipment, most are for charter for tax purposes or to off set costs.
To run one like a normal business is difficult. That said, there are some single plane opertors who serve markets like the Bahamas etc that do fine.

I just did a single pilot certification myself. It was the biggest nightmare I could think of. Unless you have a whole bunch of time, a while bunch of money, and already have a relationship with the FSDO don't do it. IT is absolutely the most stressful thing I have done! I had to explain most everything about the certification process to them and they still screwed things up. :(

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back