• NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.
  • Logbook Pro for Apple iOS version 8.1 is now available on the App Store. Major update including signature endorsements and dark/light theme support. Click here to install now.

Park Ranger Pilot question

Av8trxx

Total Time
5,000+
Must all Park Ranger pilots have a commercial pilot certificate to fly aircraft as part of their job? This is a question some friends of mine and I are trying to figure out as we know of a park ranger that is flying with just a Private. That doesn't seem right but...

Pretty much all of the Park Service gov't job descriptions I have seen require applicants to have one, but what about park rangers who have been on the job and then gone over to flying for the Park Service well after they were hired as a ranger?

Can one do so with only a Private seeing as the aircraft is just another vehicle they use for patrol?

TWA

Total Time
If I remember correctly, if you are flying anything directly public service, you don't even need a license.

msw

Total Time
If I remember correctly, if you are flying anything directly public service, you don't even need a license.

If he is flying a public use aircraft on a public use mission, he needs no FAA pilot license nor does he need any FAA Medical Certificate. In that sense, he is kind of the same as a military pilot.

414Flyer

Down with Chemtrails!
Total Time
If he is flying a public use aircraft on a public use mission, he needs no FAA pilot license nor does he need any FAA Medical Certificate. In that sense, he is kind of the same as a military pilot.

Yes you do need it, or else you are not going to get hired to do it without it. While the FAA can legally allow public use aircraft to be flown that way, every job I have seen posted for BLM, USFS, NPS, and every other agency, does require at least Commercial rating