• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Parachute... Packing, etc?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When I first starting doing acro in the T-6, I took a weekend accellerated free fall course, which was very beneficial, and fun.

You have a healthy attitude, ERJ. I wish more aerobatic and sailplane pilots who think af a parachute as an uncomfortable and expensive seat cushion had your outlook.

I used to brief complete strangers on egress in a T-34 before formation acro rides. And it was air force guys who told me what little I know about it. That's me admitting that I hardly know anything. What I do remember and what is easy for anyone to remember in a pinch: The 3 "H"s:

Handle(canopy), Headset(or Helmet--toss it or unplug it), Harness.

Stand on the seat (if one could, I guess), arms crossed over your chest with the D-ring in one of them( I believe it sits on the right side of your chest most times), jump and extend both arms jesus-style. After that, I suppose you either meet him or thank him. I never mentioned that, though.

It's a round chute so it'll kind of do the rest.

There is a rigger around KFFC(Peachtree City, Ga) that did most of the chutes I worked with around there. I forget his name, but I'll see if I can remember it.

Wow guys.. All great posts.. :)

Waldom - I hate to reply to your excellent post with a short, thanks, but it was well thought out and I don't have much to say to it, other than.. Thanks.. ;)

I plan on doing atleast a weekend jump deal.. I'd like be in a situation where the first time I am hurtleing out of the sky is not due to a broken bird.. :) I'd like for me to be able to say "ok, this is not a new sensation... react appropriately.."

One question.. I am 260lbs.. I need a chute that "fits" me..

Tram, in addition to furthering your knowledge, you're going to have a lot of fun.

Due to your size, you may have to shop around for a drop zone that will accommodate you. The sport and the associated equipment is not geared for bigger people. 260 pounds exceeds the suggested novice weight limit for the parachute canopies used in the student rigs at most schools. If you are making a tandem jump, the combined weight of you and the instructor will encounter the same limit. A lot depends on how your weight is distributed. If you happen to be physically fit, you will find that most schools will be more inclined to train you at that weight. [They are not looking for "beautiful people", they just don't want to see anyone hurt].

To learn about how and where to make a first jump, take the time to go to this website: www.uspa.org. The United States Parachute Association is membership organization that regulates sport parachuting in this country. They make the safety rules, license instructors, and set the training standards in the sport.

Regarding the choice of canopies for a pilot emergency parachute, get the largest diameter low-porosity high-speed catagory canopy availiable.

Have fun on your first jump and in that Yak! [Hopefully not at the same time.]

Last edited:
I'm not Lance Armstrong but I'm not Jobba the Hut either.. :) People usually think I weigh 20-30lbs less than I weigh..

Latest resources

Back