Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bell47

shoveling the dream!
Hello guys, I'm doing a research project and need some info on ejection from a T-33a. (I know that's a really old airplane). What I need to know is if a pilot ejected at 8000MSL from a T-33a, How long would it take to float down to the surface at sea level? This would be in a no wind situation, with temps about 35-50 degrees through out the descent. Thank you for any info you can share. Bell47

you would be better served on a skydiving forum. If you know the diameter of the canopy they could give you the info most likely. Or try serching parachute canopy sites. Some may give you the feet per second decent rate there

Hello guys, I'm doing a research project and need some info on ejection from a T-33a. (I know that's a really old airplane). What I need to know is if a pilot ejected at 8000MSL from a T-33a, How long would it take to float down to the surface at sea level? This would be in a no wind situation, with temps about 35-50 degrees through out the descent. Thank you for any info you can share. Bell47

No problem, and glad to help. Based on a weight of 175 pounds that descent would take 14 minutes and 37 seconds.

No problem, and glad to help. Based on a weight of 175 pounds that descent would take 14 minutes and 37 seconds.

I've been under 28 foot diameter military canopies before, and this is not accurate. As other posters have noted, about 1000 feet per minute rate of descent is about right.

Guess it depends if the chute opens or not.
True indeed. If the container doesn't open, the descent rate will be 10000 feet per minute or higher depending on body position during free-fall.

Latest resources

Back