Paper Logbook vs Logbook Pro, et al

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

blesko

I have looked at the recent debates on this topic, but the discussion has ceased as of late 2007. Whats the group concensus about using Logbook Pro or other electronic logbooks versus a traditional logbook?? I'm not interviewing or job hunting, but I'm a year and a half behind in inputting into the paper logbook and want to see if the next however many hours of inputting time is worth it or would be worth it in the future.

Thanks

I use both. The electronic logbook keeps it accurate and eliminates having to add up columns, and is useful if I need to research some part of my flying history. But the Jurassic Period part of me still keeps a paper logbook as sort of a personal history of my flying, and I keep comments, notes, anything that interests me in it. Years from now, hopefully I will be able to browse through it just for the pure fun of it, like we did with my grandfather's logbooks from the 40's, 50's, and 60's.

I use my electronic logbook exclusively now. I can still take notes in the remarks or journal sections and print it out occasionally. As far as I'm concerned, my progeny will still be able to leaf through my logs 70 years from now even if they're machine printed instead of handwritten. Electronic logs admittedly lack some personally, but since my penmanship is terrible, they are much neater anyway :) As far as interviews - they will want to see all original endorsements, training and checkride entires. Other than that, electronically printed logs should be fine. For my last interview, which was 4 years ago, I simply brought my old handwritten logs in addition to my newly printed one. I stopped hand-logging at around 1200 hours and the interviewers actually commented how impressed they were by the presentation of my professionally printed and bound logs.

It's obviously your choice, but I personally feel handwriting logs in addition to keeping electronic ones is completely unnecessary. I back up my electronic one in two separate places and email a copy to myself so if my house burns down, my logs are still safe.

Hands down----electronic. It looks very professional and eliminates math errors. It helps being able to filter out the time when you are filling out the applications. Also, you can make unlimited backups.

With all of the job apps I have filled out...If my logbook was electronic I would have quit airplanes by now. Some of those apps are insane in what they ask of your flight time. They want it broken down so many different ways.

Having the logbook on the computer makes it so much faster.

I have looked at the recent debates on this topic, but the discussion has ceased as of late 2007. Whats the group concensus about using Logbook Pro or other electronic logbooks versus a traditional logbook?? I'm not interviewing or job hunting, but I'm a year and a half behind in inputting into the paper logbook and want to see if the next however many hours of inputting time is worth it or would be worth it in the future.

Thanks

I use APDL and LogbookPro. I can make notations in APDL and they transfer when I sync with LP.

From your profile, you state you have about 5,000 hours. It will take quite a bit of time to transfer that over in to LB. I did it when I had 10,000 hours and I did it on my RONs. It took 9 months to complete. I now use APDL it it does it automatically for me.

Electronic all the way.

T8

Thanks

and I thought that I procrastinated..... :rolleyes:

I'd do a month-by-month line in a master logbook to get caught up, then start fresh using the electronic logbook.

Hi!

LBPro is the best for PC computers, and the most expensive.

Log10Pro????or something like that is available for the MAC.

There are other PC elec programs that are less than LBPro, including some that are free. U can also make your own on a spreadsheet.

If you want a printed log, then print out your e-log. Also nice as can print a whole e-log, bind it in spiral plastic binding and leave it with the interview team.

Back up your e-log multiple places, including email yourself your file.

I have a LONG post that explains how to print LBPro...pm me if you can't find it. LBPro will do it for you, but it costs a lot and the binding is VERY expensive. The BEST way is to have them do it, but too expensive for me.

cliff
NBO

Latest resources

Back