Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

urflyingme?!

Man Among Men
I asked on a previous thread if anyone knew about the Panther C.A.T.S. system, but got no replies, so here we go again

Does anyone know anything about them? Apparently they have 46 dB of reduction, and they are basically earplugs+ANR with a mic attached to one earphone.

Has anyone even seen these in use? Used them, heard about them? They seem interesting....

I've got two sets of them. One of them is the ear molds only with the mic. I've been testing the then prototype which is earmolds and a boom mike.

My buddy likes the ear plugs with the mic in them. I like the boom mike. Both take some getting used to. I used the headset without the mic for such a long time I had to relearn it. You have to remember with the mic in your ear everything you do comes across the intercom. Chewing, mubling, burping you name it. There is a mute button but it's pretty funny.

The boom mic is really nice. It's more like a 3 step process to put them on. Put on the left ear mold, right ear mold, then the mic. The mic is like a stec mike or one like controllers wear. It's very comfortable. No band over your head.

There is so much noise reduction I actually had jerry make an extra set of ear plugs with stereo in them for my mp3 player. They are unreal when it comes to keeping noise out. I can't explain it any better than putting your finger in your ear and keeping out the noise. It's unreal.

Pm me for more info. PS. their product support (jerry) is unreal.

Bummer...I thought this was a thread about the F9F Panther...one of Grumman's famous "Cats."

Diesel,

In the version with the boom mic, do you hear in both ears, or still just one?

I do fine when I hear with both ears, but any more the units that input into just one ear leave me saying "huh?" too often. I had a lightweight plantronics headset I liked for general comfort and good sound transmission, but even after going to a molded ear plug, still was missing a lot. Going back to an airman 750 type headset took care of that. It was just hearing in both ears. Does the latest version of the cats unit do that?

Sounds like a neat setup. I prefer speakers in each ear as well. A couple of questions:

Are the custom earplugs hard or soft plastic?

How difficult is it to don the headset?

With the earplugs in is cockpit communication between crewmembers inhibited in any manner? Have you noted any time in which you were not able to effectively hear callouts, conversation or requests?

Are the headsets comfortable for long periods of time?

Will the headset jack into any regular airliner type setup or do you have to use a seperate PTT? (Some of the documentation I have seen shows some kind of control module)

Thanks for your assistance!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back