Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BeckyAnne

Hi all

My first post so I’ll jump to the point.

Going for my first “real” corporate interview and of course my major crisis is revolving around my attire. So I ask the question to those in the know, especially anyone who may be or may have been at one time in the hiring loop.

In the past all my jobs were more or less by word of mouth… CFI at my flight school etc. you know the drill, and my last job I was actually hired right after I gave my future employer a 141 ME stage check.

But this job, while it may be small to some it’s big to me, so I want to be notable, but appropriate, professional but subtle.

It’s a small single jet operator based in the southeast, interview is Monday, and I was told it would be a formal interview with both the owner and CP.

I’m really leery about anything else but a nice pant suit, I know a skirt is out of the question, was never even an option but would a nice Sunday Church appropriate dress with a long jacket be acceptable?

My girlfriends are no help at all, so I’m appealing to my fellow pilots for any advice you can offer.

Thanks
Becky
;)

A black leather mini with a matching tube top will probably get you the job.

If you are not that bold, I would think that the outfit you are describing would be just fine.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert by any means on female (or male for that matter) attire!

I would think that nothing less than a nice pant suit would be fine. I can see why a skirt would be inappropriate UNLESS this were for an office-only type of interview (i.e. no flying/aircraft preflight inspection, etc.) The key is this, you want to look your absolute best but not over-do it for the situation. Of course, make sure all jewelry is shined and clothes are pressed and tailored well. If you were a man, I'd tell you to also shine your shoes but I realize that most female shoes are just not shinable. Whatever the case, make sure they don't have scuff marks and the soles don't have holes in them and the heel is not worn too much. With the pant suit, wear some sort of flats, not heels.

Personal appearance is a good display of one's self-respect (or lack thereof).

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

On a side note, here is what I sent to our office manager when asked about the etiquette for our company's Christmas party attire:

Men
- Traditional Formal: long tails in white (off-white) or black
- Semi-formal (a.k.a. Formal): tuxedo with bow-tie in black or white (off-white)
- Informal: suit with full-length tie
- Business: coat and full-length tie
- Semi-business: khaki pants with button-down or "Polo" shirt
- Casual: jeans with button-down or "Polo" shirt
- Semi-casual: jeans with t-shirt or sweat-shirt
- Work: whatever you want to wear that you can get dirty/greasy in

Women
- Traditional Formal: full-length wide-spread dress
- Semi-formal (a.k.a Formal): "prom" dress
- Informal: "cocktail" dress
- Business: pant-suit, skirt-suit, or blouse with knee-length or full- length skirt
- Semi-business: "less-dressier" blouse with knee-length or full- length skirt or dress pants (khaki-style or better)
- Casual: blouse with jeans or casual-style skirt (short skirts are for meat markets and dog fights only)
- Semi-casual: jeans with t-shirt or sweat-shirt
- Work: whatever you want to wear that you can get dirty/greasy in

My first reaction is to dress like a conservative and successful executive.

Pants suit? I haven't seen many women wearing them since 1978.

Maybe someone from Net Jets will tell you what women wear there. That might be a good idea.

Just dress in something that looks GOOD and is COMFY!
pant suit is fine...
dress.....nah....too much.
the main thing is to look neat and feel confident.

I wouldn't recommend dressing like a fractional pilot, looks a little too airline to me!! - that being cheesy, non tailored, with beat up old shoes!!!

Thats fine on "the line" but you are going to a BUSINESS interview, dont aim to dress like a pilot. You will no dount dress down once you get hired!!

GOOD LUCK!!

Howdy!
A business suit has worked fine for several females. At the last Women In Aviation convention, many females there were in suit pants and jacket, nice blouse (no pilot shirts), and "Got Job?" on their nametags. Many were hired at that convention, too.

A dress is fine for an office job interview. Dresses mean "secretary," especially floral patterns.

Shoes, flats or pumps are great. Polish if possible. High heels are 50/50, it depends on the interviewer.

Hope that helps.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

I'm on job #3. 1st interview: Navy pants & a great patterned(subtle professional blouse. Result - got the job.

2nd job: Navy pants suit ( same blouse as above with jacket)
Result - got the job.

3rd job: Navy pants with above blouse. Got the job.

Conclusion: My next interview, I'll probably wear a navy pants suit with the above blouse(it's my good luck charm now!) Also, wear your sexiest underwear - it sure gives me that little confidence boost!! Now I know some of the guys on this board will jump all over this, but whatever it takes to walk in there with a little just a little more confidence than you'd ordinarily have - go for it! Netjet gals - I'd like to hear what you wore to your interviews!

Thanks guys and gals for all the input.

I’m headed out today shopping for that good luck interview suit and Hazel thanks for the good luck tip! :D

I’ll report back on the outcome.

Becky

Latest resources

Back