• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Panic attack in the cockpit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Before using deadly force, or even a well-placed elbow or fist, I would be inclined to reach over and cover up the frozen student's eyes. I've not yet had the opportunity to try this, but it was passed on to me by a very wise old CFI who had. He claimed that a person's natural reaction to having his eyes covered will be to let go of the yoke (or throttle, in this case) while trying to uncover them.

One or two fingers inserted against or into the nostrils works, too. Lifting upward and rearward in a circular motion, one has control once the head is tilted.

I've used that in a moving ambulance and in the ER with meth and behavioral patients in times past and long ago, to good effect. Not in every case, mind you, but try it some time; it's more effective than you might think.

Although I shoulda continued the punch 'cause the left-seater deserved it, I stopped right before his nose as he let go.

#$@*!!! thought he was fighting the autopilot. He didn't hear it disconnect after he hauled forward on the controls.

So much for "I got ten thousand hours," except as a warning to "keep the powder dry."

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

Friend of mine taking a big student up for his first spin ride in the tweet. a couple of rotations goes by and he feels the student grab the controls and lock the stick full forward. the spin transitions to inverted and the students grip is like a rock. so he grabs the O2 cord just below the students mask cutting of the O2. Student in an instictive reaction lashes out and breaks my friends visor. In the ensuing struggle the tweet continues to spin through the floor of the area. My friends fights off the student and recovers but was starting to think about pulling the handels and punching out.

No other type of student scares me more than one who fights on the controls. I've flown with bad pilots who haven't scared me one bit. On the other hand I've been up with ones who I thought flew really well but scared the crap out of me because "My flight controls" just didn't register.

The same type of thing has happened to me. I reached over and grabbed the guys elbow and advanced, ummm, I mean slammed the throttle forward. At about the same time he realized that I was actually doing something rather productive and trying to save both of our lives.

I'm curious...do these people just come out of nowhere with this stuff? I mean no advance warning just "wham"?

Poke the person in the eye and they will let go. Guaranteed. Worked for me on a few occasions. (15 private students)

Latest resources

Back