Pan Am Flight Academy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Ned

Anybody instructed at the Pan Am Flight Academy? Any info would be appreciated.

Also, are they connected in any way with the former / recently re-started Pan Am Airlines?

I am going to be attending the school for the may 7th start classes. I will try to update with any information that comes along as I hear.

For Wiggums

You mailbox was full and not taking replies ;)

Nothing specific,

My situation is I've got my Commercial single and multi, CFII and about 500 hours with 200 dual given. I've been teaching part time and I've decided to move to aviation full time. Our local FBO is not the best place to do that. I'm just looking for information on the different schools. I've talked to the folks at Flight Safety and I should have done the ASA Intern Program a year ago, I've talked to Comair Academy, and I looked at the Airline Training Academy as well. I've noticed the Pan Am planes at our airport a few times. I was just hoping someone who had instructed could give me some information on the work environment, pay, hours flown, advancement opportunities, etc...

Thanks for responding...

Ned,
Which campus are you looking at? I've some experience with the Deer Valley (Phoenix) facility.

Ft. Pierce Campus

The Ft. Pierce Campus, but I can't imagine things are entirely different at a different location.

CFI jobs

Congratulations for deciding to take the plunge. Lots of luck, too. Read some of my posts for a cautionary viewpoint.

No, you shouldn't have necessarily signed up with FlightSafety's ASA program a year ago, P-F-T notwithstanding. They gave you a good sales job. You should still apply to FSI as a flight instructor. It never hurts to put your resume on file.

For that matter, send to every major school, commercial, college, whatever, on the planet. Your chances improve with the more stuff you send. I've been there; I've done it; I know.

I can tell you that life at a major school has its pros and cons. Pros include, obviously, flying and building time, but also making contacts. Depending on the school, good facilities and advancement opportunties. I worked at two big schools, Riddle and FSI. Both places had good equipment. Also, a lot of mickeymouse. Pay will vary. In retrospect, Riddle paid very fairly; FSI, somewhat less than fairly. Both places had good benies. I can guarantee that I could substitute Pan Am for either name and it would be the same.

Try looking in pilot magazines for names of schools and send stuff to them. My rationale was that these schools might need instructors. It worked twice for me; I got jobs at FSI and Mesa after seeing their ads, and I learned about ATCA in Goodyear after seeing them mentioned in a Beech ad. I had an interview at ATCA.

Good luck with your job search.

Bobbysamd--You always make good points.

Ned,
Following Bobbysamd's advice is solid; after that it pretty much gets to be "splitting hairs" and "advanced filtering" in the process of choosing.

I have not interacted with the Ft. Pierce people very much so I cannot comment on the character of that leadership group.

Notes from my Day Runner 27 March, last year. "Lunch with Walter "Wally" David. CEO of PAIFA. Seemed sincere in his commitment to see the student 'clients' succede."

As with any sizable organization, issues that will affect you on a daily basis won't always reach the CEO's desk. I'd suggest arranging a meet-and-greet session with the Chief Flight Instructor &/ or the Assistant Chief(s) once you narrow down your choices.

All the Best,
Rvr

FSI had two options with ASA when I was there. #1 was to instruct for FSI for 800 hours. For instructing 800 hours your CFII and MEI was picked up for free AND you were guaranteed an interview with ASA. Option #2 was to pass the ASA interview, write a check for ASA ground school, and IF you didn't wash out you were then offered conditional employment.

Ned,

Is the 800 hour instructing deal gone at FSI? Just curious. I still would certainly instruct there if you can get in.

Last edited:
i don't work for pan am but one of my friend work for them in fort pierce. pretty good establishment to work for if you are looking for a secure job. not too much flying though in the begining. u'll probably be doing lots of sim instructing or ground instructing. then mainly flying singles untill hit a certain number of hours(around 600 to 800 dual given) before even going near a twin. no gurantee with any bridge programmes but i think if you work for companies like pan am or flight safety it always looks good on ur resume. ultimately its always the experiecne u've got and how good ur will matter though. no connections between pan am flight school and pan am airlines. good luck...

Latest resources

Back