Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

x96connelly

Hey everyone,

I'm from MI and am going to Palm Springs, CA for my honeymoon in about a month. While there, I'm planning on renting an airplane to fly us to Las Vegas for a few nights, then back to Palm Springs. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on FBOs at different airports to rent planes from in Palm Springs, and where a good FBO is in Vegas to fly to. Thanks for any help!

Jason

North Las Vegas....KVGT. I go in/out alot.

About the cheapest fuel in the southwest too.

It's a short ride (free FROM the airport) to the strip too. But you'll have to cab it back.

If you want a rental car, Enterprise is on the field.

McCarran is outrageously expensive. The last time I was there (year ago), they charged me $2 more per gallon than VGT, and $50/night tiedown. They don't cater to propellers, but if you want one of the best views when landing.....it's hard to beat.

I'd suggest IFR in/out if you're qualified, even though 350 days per year, it's severe clear. Besides the fact you'll be dodging MOA's and Restricted areas on your way in....It's one of the busiest airspaces in the country, and while professional...they're not the most patient controllers. They're busier than hell, but if you're efficient/professional....they're great.

The only "problem" is you'll get with VGT is the NorthTown 1 departure, which is a little complicated the first time or two you fly it.

Don't bother to request "no SID" when filing either....you won't get it. Unless you bust out of there fast and climb quickly, they'll make you fly practically the whole thing, so study the plate.

Personally I would suggest VFR to Henderson because it's closer to the strip (15 minutes max). Plus you don't have to mess with Las Vegas controllers (if you don't want to). But if you like North Las Vegas then you can always squeeze under the controlled airspace or outside it. I personally think the controllers in the area are really kind and willing to help guys out so if you are comfotable then call them up and they will help you through. Don't be afraid to ask for what you want either. Tell them you want to fly over the strip if you like, but don't be too upset if they are too busy to let you do it. The controllers at North Las Vegas will also help you find your way. There will more than likely be a "Follow Me" car waiting for you if you plan ahead. When it's time to go back, jump in your bird and ask for Las Vegas Class B services. They will have you on your way in no time. I personally think VFR flying in/out of Las Vegas is way easier. I sure beats sitting in the heat waiting for your release.

x96connelly said:
Hey everyone,

I'm from MI and am going to Palm Springs, CA for my honeymoon in about a month. While there, I'm planning on renting an airplane to fly us to Las Vegas for a few nights, then back to Palm Springs. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on FBOs at different airports to rent planes from in Palm Springs, and where a good FBO is in Vegas to fly to. Thanks for any help!

Jason

Contact the NGPA members in the area while your in PS and tell them you're in town for a good time. They will set ya up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always been happy wih Signature at LAS. Always treated me well in a SE Piper. They waive tie-down and one overnight with a fill-up and you are across the street from Mandalay Bay. The difference in fuel is made up in ground transport costs! (ie that cab to VGT)

LAS approach is pretty good to work with and I have had better experiences with LAS tower than VGT.

JimG is right about the VGT departure procedure. My wife and a student almost clipped Nellis' airspace last spring. Make sure you get the correct Bank of America building on departure! :)

I didn't think about Henderson....I come in /go out from the north side. The last time I flew into Henderson was so long ago...there was NOTHING on the field other than a fuel truck.

Understand that's changed considerably.

As far as Signature and LAS....they're the ultimate in service. Everything else is second rate.

But....it comes at a price. $4.75/gal for 100LL, and you'll pay $50/night in tie down fees. VGT and Henderson (I believe) are $3.61/$5.

Don't get me wrong about the LAS controllers and McCarran. It's my favorite airport to fly in/out of, but things are happening fast and they don't have alot of time. Like I stated in my first post, if you're efficient and professional....they're great.

If you're not, I've heard them give more than one private pilot problems and vice-versa.

A newbie into LAS is going to cause a higher workload, b/c it can be confusing with everything going on, depending on the time of day also.

Latest resources

Back