• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Paging Rez O. Lewshun

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A real union has a sense of solidarity with labor movements in general. ALPA is simply interested in themselves and needs to change their name to AirLine Pilots Association.

Oh wait.....uhm.........

With a little luck, this will turn into a lawsuit.

It won't. They will probably reach an agreement within the next week, and if they don't, there will probably be a short strike like last time. No big deal.

I think the UALPAPAE employees have been informational picketing in front of the Herndon offices for the past couple of weeks, so if you live in the area, stop by and show some support. They deserve it.

It won't. They will probably reach an agreement within the next week, and if they don't, there will probably be a short strike like last time. No big deal.

I think the UALPAPAE employees have been informational picketing in front of the Herndon offices for the past couple of weeks, so if you live in the area, stop by and show some support. They deserve it.

How does this happen? Something is wrong here...is it not?

How does this happen? Something is wrong here...is it not?

It's the right to peaceful assembly and freedom of association, guaranteed by the First Admendment, and right to freedom (not to be inslaved or indentured) guaranteed by the Thirteenth Admendment that makes this not only happen, but makes it NOT wrong.

It's the right to peaceful assembly and freedom of association, guaranteed by the First Admendment, and right to freedom (not to be inslaved or indentured) guaranteed by the Thirteenth Admendment that makes this not only happen, but makes it NOT wrong.

But unions are supposed to be "FOR" the worker....correct? Why didn't ALPA give the "workers" what they "deserve"? I'm not saying that it isn't within their rights....I am questioning how a union can maintain it's "moral highground" when the employees of said union have to strike while the "CEO" makes half a million bucks a year....Sounds like the very corporations that unions continually attack....

But unions are supposed to be "FOR" the worker....correct? Why didn't ALPA give the "workers" what they "deserve"?

When you say "ALPA," who are you referring to? The ALPA BOD isn't involved in this process. Neither is the Exec Board. The Exec Council is only peripherally involved. This process is mainly handled by the General Manager of the Association, who is not a rep, and not even a pilot. He has no involvement with pilot representation, he is only the guy that handles managing the employees, overseeing the HR department, the accounting department, etc...

Now, should Captain Prater step up and tell the General Manager to settle this contract and stop being unreasonable? I think so. What the employees are asking for is very reasonable. There's no reason to be fighting this. Hopefully Prater will do the right thing and overrule his General Manager before this gets to a strike.

I'm not saying that it isn't within their rights....I am questioning how a union can maintain it's "moral highground" when the employees of said union have to strike while the "CEO" makes half a million bucks a year....Sounds like the very corporations that unions continually attack....

No one at ALPA makes a half million dollars a year. Why do you insist on continuing to spread that blatant lie?

No one at ALPA makes a half million dollars a year. Why do you insist on continuing to spread that blatant lie?
Maybe not salary...but wasn't Woerth's total compensation somewhere in the realm of $550k? I'm too lazy to Google-Fu Prater's compensation at the moment.

But unions are supposed to be "FOR" the worker....correct? Why didn't ALPA give the "workers" what they "deserve"? I'm not saying that it isn't within their rights....I am questioning how a union can maintain it's "moral highground" when the employees of said union have to strike while the "CEO" makes half a million bucks a year....Sounds like the very corporations that unions continually attack....

Well, let's hope that National is attempting to be a good steward of our dues and is not willing to just "give in" to this group or any other without normal negotiations to determine contractual work rules, pay, and benefits.

It's my understanding that our union contracts only with Unions--if there is one for the given activity. It would seem that normal business practices would prevail in negotiating those contracts. Otherwise, we would all be screaming about our dues going up to pay those expenses. It does seem odd, but so are conjoined twins. They still function as two separate entities.

Is Prater making 500K a year? I thought it was closer to 250K! Hmm--still a chunk.

Maybe not salary...but wasn't Woerth's total compensation somewhere in the realm of $550k? I'm too lazy to Google-Fu Prater's compensation at the moment.

"Total compensation" doesn't tell you anything, because the figure reported to the government includes all of his expenses related to his work. His actual compensation is about $325k per year, which I think it pretty fair for someone in his position.

Latest resources

Back