Padded logbook question?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mitsipilot

After questioning a student of mine about several entries he made in his log book, he admitted that he had padded his log book several years ago. It is only about 10hrs he said. He said that the N# he put down does not even match the type of plane he logged. He realises what he did was wrong and wants to fix it. My student wants to go on and pursue an airline career. Any ideas how to fix his logbook so that it will not draw an unusual amount of attention during an interview.

If he's a student pilot, then he probably does'nt have many hours. Get a new logbook and re-enter the 'correct' time.

He is actually a multi-engine student, and has at least 600hrs in there including many endorsements. I think it may be too much to reconstruct.

Tell him to not log the next 10 hrs he flies and his Karmic debt will be repaid. :D

Who's gonna cross-check N-numbers with aircraft types, 'cept maybe the FAA (if he has an accident)?

The moral of the story: padding just isn't worth it! Don't do it!

Do nothing.

How did you figure it out? If some random pilot picked up his logbook would be spot it? Hell, my logbook errors total more then ten hours right now. I would leave it the way it is, and hope that he'd learned his lesson.

P-51 (Parker 51) Tiime

This incident provides a great teaching opportunity. Pull out the section of Part 61 about logbooks. Lecture your student about how a logbook is a legal document and put a little fear in him about the ramfications of padding time. You can also throw in how potential employers will send him home if they suspect a padded logbook. He'll never do it again. Remember the law of intensity.

Leave the logbook the way it is. No one will ever try to match N #'s with aircraft unless by some strange coincidence someone recognizes one of those N #'s as false. Also, if this person is considering an aviation career, the electronic logbook is definitely the way to go. You can make all the corrections you need, you can create neat reports and all you need to back it up are the little red books or your old logbook, or you can continue to use the "classic logbook" for endorsements or signoffs. Either way, your electronic logbook reports will draw attention away from the old paper one.

I had my logbook audited twice in the last year and both times came up with nothing. The funny thing is that there are a bunch errors in both of them. I agree with everybody else about leaving it in there. One thing you may do is change the N-Number to a flight schools aircraft or a friends aircraft.

Latest resources

Back