Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

machaf

L.B.C.
Here is the information I got back from them.

Cliff Notes: Flying 1-2 days a week, doing other crap the rest.
You get paid $8/hr. I think I poop about $8/hr if I add it all up.

Pilot Applicant for First Officer:

Thank you for your interest in Pacific Wings Airline. Pacific Wings Airline is a Maui, Hawaii based airline and have been in business for over 30 years. We currently fly 5-Cessna Grand Caravans. Although Caravan experience is a plus, it is not necessary to join our core of pilots. We are looking for highly motivated pilots that can handle passengers, baggage, customer service issues, and are willing to put in the effort to make Pacific Wings Airline a great airline. We are currently offering a unique First Officer program.

You must be a FAA certified pilot and be able to work in the United States of America. You must meet this requirement to work for Pacific Wings Airline.

You would be hired as a ramper and customer service agent, and fly as a First Officer. You would be paid an hourly rate for all scheduled activities.

Once hired, you would be trained in the customer service side of the business and act in that capacity for a period of 30 days. At the successful completion of this period, you would be reviewed for recommendation for flight training. You will be required to sign a one-year pro-rated training contract. Flight training would be about 3 weeks ending with a 135 check ride.

Once you have completed your training and past the checkride, you are eligible to fly as a First Officer for Pacific Wings. You will be scheduled to fly the line one to two days per week and work ramp and customer service the rest. Each line would be approx. 6.5 hours of flight time.

Our minimum requirements for First Officer are: Commercial SEL, and Instrument Airplane. You must be an active pilot and current on instrument skills. We will train you how to fly a Caravan, we will not train you how to fly instruments.

When you reach our minimum requirements for Captain, you may be eligible to upgrade as soon as a slot opens ups.

Our minimum requirements for Captain are per 135.243: Commercial SEL, and Instrument Airplane, 1200 Total Time, 500 hours of cross country, 100 hours of night, and 75 hours of actual or simulated instrument.

We provide full medical at no expense after the first 30-60 days of employment. Spouses, children, and dental coverage are extra. We offer Vacation and Holiday benefits, and a 401K. As a First Officer, you also have jumpseat and non-rev privileges with several major airlines.

We are constantly recruiting to find the absolute best candidates as our airline grows. We know that your experience here will be rewarding and valuable. If you wish to interview for a First Officer position, please make your way to the beautiful island of Maui, and contact me via email.

Upon receiving this email response and you are still interested in becoming a crewmember for our airline, email back to me with the phrase “PW Response SIC” in the subject line. All communications with me must be via e-mail only, do not call.

Mahalo
=====

Here are some answers to many questions about the First Officer program that you may have.

How many pilots are we hiring?
PW is tripling our flights and expanding the cities served and there are 5 immediate openings for Oahu & 7 immediate openings for Maui locations.

Do I need an FAA certificate?
Yes.

Do I need to be a US Citizen?
No, but you must be able to work in the USA. We do not sponsor potential candidates.

What is the pay?
$8.00hr starting with raises at 90 days and 1 year.

How many hours a week will I work?
30 minimum, 40 maximum. We are a 24 hour, 365 days a year airline but most scheduling happens between 5am and midnight.

How many hours of flight time will I get?
50-60 hours per month.

What is the pro-rated training contract?
This is an $8,000.00 training contract with the airline. The contract is 12 months in length. Should you leave employment (voluntary or involuntary) prior to the end of the 12-month period, you will be required to pay the balance of the contract. The balance due on the contact will decrease by 1/12th every 30 days of employment following the date you pass your check ride with Pacific Wings.

How soon after I have the qualifications, as a Captain will I be able to upgrade?
We have a constant need for Captains. We hire or upgrade about 10-12 Captains per year. You would probably be able to upgrade within 3 months of reaching the minimum qualifications.

How expensive is it to live on Maui/Oahu?
Typically you can assume about 20% higher than the national average. You can share an apartment, condo, or house for $400.00 to $600.00 per month. It cost about $1,000.00 to have a car shipped from the west coast.

Do I have to come to Maui for an interview?
Yes. For mainland travels, we can provide flights from Honolulu (HNL) to Maui and return if required. Many of the better airfares are to Honolulu. We understand it is expensive, however, we receive numerous resume from qualified candidates. The only way to know that you are the one for the job is to have an in-person interview along with a simulator ride.

How do I schedule an interview?
I am available Monday-Friday afternoons for interviews. Let me know by email that you would like an interview and when you planning on coming. I will let you know if we are hiring at that time. You are still invited to come to Maui for an interview even if there are no immediate openings. We will give you an interview and if we choose to hire you, you will be placed in a hiring pool. When a First Officer position becomes available, we will contact you.

Where are we located?
We are located in an office trailer next to the Commuter Terminal at the Kahului Airport (OGG) on the island of Maui.

Where can I stay?
This is a tourist island. There are numerous places to stay in the resort areas of the island. The airport is not located in the resort areas. Here are just a few choices within 7 miles of the airport and around $100.00/night.
Maui Beach Hotel (808) 877-0051; Maui Seaside Hotel (808) 560-5552; Maui Coast Hotel (808) 8746284

Last edited:
What? You want to be paid as well??!!

"We have a unique First Officer Training Program"!!!!!!

You betcha!! Training contract plus $8/hr plus your own airfare to interview....what more could you possibly want? Oh, sorry, forgot about the cost of living in HI.....it would have been better to say fly for free!

SIC on a Caravan, please!!!!!!!!!

Take it, if you're that desperate, but really, you'd be better off working at Mickey D'S..

sounds like a cheaper way to get your 1200 TT for 135 PIC mins than renting an airplane. I would also guess it also pays more than the average CFI, considering very few CFI get paid for 30-40 hours per week. You have to pay your dues someplace, why HI?

8 bucks an hour would BARELY cover your living expenses... that's an expensive way to "pay dues". And for SIC Caravan time?? I dont think so.

machaf said:
This is an $8,000.00 training contract with the airline. The contract is 12 months in length. Should you leave employment (voluntary or involuntary) prior to the end of the 12-month period, you will be required to pay the balance of the contract. The balance due on the contact will decrease by 1/12th every 30 days of employment following the date you pass your check ride with PW.

Do I have to come to Maui for an interview?
Yes. For mainland travels, we can provide flights from Honolulu (HNL) to Maui and return if required. Many of the better airfares are to Honolulu. We understand it is expensive, however, we receive numerous resume from qualified candidates.

They think pretty highly of themselves considering that they lack even basic grammar skills. Also, what is the deal with having to pay back the training contract if they fire you? Let's see....you've been there for 11.5 months and flown 500 hours. If they fire you, you were paid a total of $4000 for almost a year but you now owe them $8000. Well, I guess it's still cheaper than renting except that you were in Hawaii the whole time.

No, you wouldnt owe them the entire $8000. The way I read it, the amount owed on the contract decreases by 1/12th ($666 and some change) for every 30 days you are employed. If you left after 11.5 months, you would owe them something like $340. Still sounds like a sh!tty deal to me though. I guess a guy could look at it both ways though. They DO say they have health benefits and 401K. Dont know what they pay their captains, but I guess if a guy REALLY wanted to fly in Hawaii, and could stand the BS of being a ramp agent/ baggage handler/ janitor/ aircraft washer/ whatever else they need you to do... It IS turbine time, albeit single engine turbine. I personally wouldnt do it, but I'm sure there's plenty out there that will.

Do a search for "Pacific Wlngs" in the regionals section... no thanks. Maybe if I was Chuck Norris...

Edit - replace the "l" with an "i" for your search.

Last edited:
Should you leave employment (voluntary or involuntary) prior to the end of the 12-month period, you will be required to pay the balance of the contract.

I'd bet my left nut this one clause wouldn't hold up in court. Correct me if I'm wrong, if one clause in a contract is void, doesn't that nullify the entire contract? Also, who would sign a contract that stated that they'd have to pay back a company if they were fired? Are people THAT desperate?

Latest resources

Back