PA-28 to Hawaii

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Scarecrow

I've been asked to ferry a Cherokee 6 from the mainland to Hawaii. I know it's done. I found a company in Las Vegas who will install the tanks and take care of all the paperwork as well as provide a class on the flight. Otherwise, I'm still collecting information needed to make the decision on whether or not this makes sense. The idea of 16 hours over water in a single gets your attention. If anybody out there has made this flight (or previously knew anyone that made half of it) please share any information which you think might be valuable.

You really should make the trip with someone first, before starting to make them on your own. You're quite correct, it's not a frivolous undertaking.

1st...A cherokee 6 is a PA-32 I'm pretty sure.

Second..Globe Aero in Lakeland Fl does this kind of thing all the time. They deliver aircraft all over the world. My Flightsafety instructor at FlightSafety LAL worked for them. You could give them a call. Or call FSI LAL and ask for Ken. He's a nice guy and he'll tell you what's up with ocean flying.

Personally, I'd do it with someone else first.

If you have the guts and get the right training, I say do it. I don't think I could.

Holy smokes I am going to have a nightmare just thinking of the idea- lol I am sure it would be quite "interesting" and you seem like you have the experience per your profile and flight time... Good luck, I highly doubt I could bring myself up for this task.

It was like pulling teeth for me to fly a V-35 more than 3 miles off into the Gulf from GLS..:D :D

3 5 0

Yeah do it, I've done it myself in a Piper Cub....

yeah right.

My ol man tells me he used to ferry cessna agwagons to s. america, back in the day, seat of the pants kinda stuff.

Do not do this unless you take someone with you who has made the trip before. Even then, my vote would be still be a no. I know of someone who embarked on a similar trip in the not so distant past, and he is still missing. He was in a piston twin, but he had never done it before, and he was by himself. That is a long trip with no land in between, and your only contact is via HF. I would think long and hard before embarking on that one, especially in a single.

Great way to divert to another country and start another life. The wife can get the insurance and meet you there in the distant future.You wouldn't have to pay that Visa card dept either.

take no risks in life that's what I say!

Go take a job in a cubicle in an office somewhere. Then your life will be risk free.

I got a buddy that spent six months on the bottom of Lake Michigan. He was training a new pilot on a freight run flying out of Midway one night. No mayday, no nothing. Did it stop me from flying freight in singles? No. Heck my friend could have lost that engine (if that's what happened?) over the city streets of Chicago and burst into a ball of flames, colliding on top of a bunch of cars at a busy traffic intersection...would that have changed anything?

You could be flying a LEAR JET over the continental US and wind up missing for a long time, so what's the difference? Even Northwest Airlines had a four engine airliner missing over Lake Michigan! Multi engine didn't help out there did it? Nor did turbine multi engines help out Paul Welstone and family.

Here's two links on a LEAR JET flight crew that went missing for years in New Hampshire.

comment.html

97AMS1.htm

Dead is dead, missing or not. The Important thing is whether the guy that want's to fly this trip has gotten properly equiped, educated and has assessed all the risks and minimized them as much as possible.

Hell, why don't they just pull the wings off the sucker and toss it in a shipping container? How expensive could that be?

AND TURBO S7 NO NO NO NO...IT DON'T WORK LIKE THAT!
The wife can get the insurance and meet you there in the distant future.You wouldn't have to pay that Visa card dept either.

Distant future...Try 7 years and even longer if the insurance company suspects foul play. And you better read the small print on life insurance. My personal life insurance reads that it won't pay, if I am acting as a required flight crew member or while DESCENDING from an AIRCRAFT (I skydive and therefore there was a waiver...I found a loophole on that one though, I base jump once in while also!)

And who says your wife isn't going to have to pay that visa bill while you are missing and not pronounced dead. I say go ahead...and try it, them credit card companies is going to get their money sooner or later, did you forget that husband and wife are INCORPORATED in marriage?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back