P2V Down Near Reno

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

C425Driver

RENO, Nev. - An air tanker hoping to drop retardant on a wildfire in the Sierra Nevada crashed on takeoff near Reno on Monday, killing all three crew members on board.
The twin-engine P2V air tanker owned by Neptune Aviation of Missoula, Mont., had been fighting a wildfire earlier in the day that had forced evacuations over the weekend in California's Alpine County near Hope Valley south of Lake Tahoe, Reno fire spokesman Steve Frady said Monday night.
Names of the three confirmed dead in the crash had not been released, said Ian Gregor, a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration.
Preliminary reports from witnesses suggested the tanker lost a piece of its engine or a wing after its 6:11 p.m. takeoff from Reno-Stead Airport before it caught fire and went down about a half-mile away, he said.
The crash started a small brush fire that local crews extinguished, Frady said. He said the debris field from the crash covered approximately 5 square miles northwest of the airport northeast of U.S. Highway 395.
"It was full of fuel and retardant and had been on the Hope Valley fire and apparently was headed back to make one last drop," Frady told The Associated Press.

Last edited:
damn damn damn.

It is an unfortunately reality, that in aerial firefighting, eventually you will lose people and friends in the industry. People do it, on the air and ground side of ops, because they love what they do and enjoy being a part of something bigger than themselves.

Someone I know that has been in fire for years and flies for CDF, told me he has lost more friends doing this, than he has friends right now.

I am not sure if I know anyone on this plane, I havent been in tankers in a while, and my fire season up in AK was over a month ago. But in any case, there are 3 good people who are not around anymore, and a lot of people are going through something right now they had always hoped they would never experience.

Ah, that's a shame. I was based at Neptune all last summer in MSO; a great bunch of folks. RIP

Latest resources

Back