P-180 Q's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The B engines should hold max torque to a higher alt,
for a given temp value(785?) which will give you a higher TAS. Another thing I have found is once you are at an altitude that you are limited by temp, in cruise bring the props back to 1870. I generally see about 5-7 kts increase in IAS. This doesn't work once above fl370 though. I have been experimenting quite a bit during 2000 hrs in the P180.
Our Piaggio II is heavier and has more drag than our I, so that may be why the speed difference is nil.
Are you saying that you bring the props back to 1870 to increase speed?
Though I only have around 1k hours of time in Piaggios, I still think my observations have merit.

Rick James,

Do you have one of the orginal Piaggio I's with the ACM?

They fly about the same speed as the Piaggio IIs with the -B.

-celloman

Rick,

Try running with the props at 1870 when you are at fl330-350. I usually get a few more kts ias. Wait to bring them back until after you have accelerated to cruise speed. PM me your results, I am interested to see how it works on your planes. This has worked for me on most of ours at Avantair. And I apologize if seemed to be dismissing your experience in the P180

Rick,

Try running with the props at 1870 when you are at fl330-350. I usually get a few more kts ias. Wait to bring them back until after you have accelerated to cruise speed. PM me your results, I am interested to see how it works on your planes. This has worked for me on most of ours at Avantair. And I apologize if seemed to be dismissing your experience in the P180
No offense taken, I still have much to learn about the Piaggio.
I'll try to bring the props back as you have shown. I'm curious as well about the results as I was under the impression that it would decrease the HP.
celloman- we do have the ACM (without the scoop).

As far as runway performance, I glanced at some tab data last night. It appears as if @SL 30c 10,500 you need 3000' to takeoff, forget about a RTO. I've done 3800' (very light) and I will never do it again.

The key is to wait until you are temp limited and you can no longer produce 100%tq at cruise alt. Pm me your results, I am curious to see what you found.

CF

Latest resources

Back