owning a T-38

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi!

The T-38 doesn't observe the 250 kt. limitation. It can't fly slowly safely, because the wings are so small, it doesn't develop much lift.

While there is no "speed limit", as my instructor told me, flying 650 kts at about 4000' was a little excessive.

cliff
YIP

Simply no comparison to the Alpha Jet. The AJ is still in active srevice with various NATO countries and is used by the French AF equivalent of the Thunder Birds. Please no French jokes, just reporting the facts.

There is an Alpha Jet based here in Boise

"The guys in Rockford" are Pride Aircraft. If you want an L-39 checkout, they are probably the best. Buck Wyndham is one of their IP's: I know him, and he's about a knowledgeable a pilot as you will ever find.

L-39's are plummeting in price. There are L-39's out there, flying and in beautiful shape, for around $100,000. Granted, most are more than this, but the companies that are trying to get $400K for theirs are going to really have to have some top end equipment, and go for the top-end market. For "the budget conscious", you can find Soko's, Casa's, Iskra's and the like for $15K-$35K, ready to fly.

The T-38 doesn't have a 250 speed limit, but it does have a 300 KIAS limit.

Last edited:
We were discussing this the other day in the ready room, if you're a civilian flying an ex-military jet, can you get clearance to go into the MOA's and go rage around for awhile, so you can actually fly the jet like its supposed to be flown? Assuming it's not busy, and you're not f'ing up the current users?

We were discussing this the other day in the ready room, if you're a civilian flying an ex-military jet, can you get clearance to go into the MOA's and go rage around for awhile, so you can actually fly the jet like its supposed to be flown? Assuming it's not busy, and you're not f'ing up the current users?
Not sure of what "the rules" say, but I did go into a MOA with civilian jet warbird (Iskra), got Center to activate the MOA, and got the same service that I would have had as a military jet.

I agree that a T-37, while not as cool as a '38, would be an infinitely more practical warbird. Especially if you could swap out those horrible Continental engines and replace them with small, modern, mini fan engines. You'd probably get more power and triple the fuel economy.

No restrictions on civilian aircraft flying in MOAs, even when they're active.

It's not smart to fly through a patch of air where there might be 4-6 fighters raging around at all altitudes and airspeeds and not looking for YOU, but it's not illegal.

Super Tweet

I agree that a T-37, while not as cool as a '38, would be an infinitely more practical warbird. Especially if you could swap out those horrible Continental engines and replace them with small, modern, mini fan engines. You'd probably get more power and triple the fuel economy.

Wonder if there are any privately-owned A-37s around. We exported some to Central/South America, as well as S. Vietnam. May still be a few at Edwards AFB.

Latest resources

Back