Owner Operators

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Arrow11

Anybody care to relate experiences good or bad of flying with an owner operator? Might have a chance to fly with a Pvt ASEL who want to get into a King Air of maybe a 421, he's an ok guy, although he is way overconfident with his own skills, I would be sitting right seat for the most part, also have to work at his business on our down days. Money would be ok, $60K, QOL good as well. I'm bothered about being a babysitter, rather than a pilot plus he is overly optimistic about the operating costs, in my experience there's always something that costs you a bunch of money operating these airplanes.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. RUN! DO not do this. I don't know the person but this situation is almost always bad. It sounds like you're already smart enough to realize this guy is trouble from the overconfident statements. I never did the work at the office on the days off but I'd avoid this as you'll more than likely be abused. Just my opinion for what it's worth. Theres gotta be better out there for you. Either way, best of luck to you.

Run away. Do not pass 'Go', do not collect $200. Just run away.

Several years ago when I was a struggling CFI, I "babysat" a guy in a T210. I worked one day each week for nine months. He was (still is) a better pilot than me but wasn't comfortable flying home after business meetings when his mind was "occupied". My only purpose was to make sure he got home safely. My pay was $2700 per month. At the end of the nine months he gave me a $9000 bonus.:) Since then, we've become best friends and I spend most of my free time on his ranch (see my avatar).

I've seen A LOT of these babysitting jobs and this was the only one I've ever heard of that ended well. Most are complete disasters. The personality type you're describing sounds like a nightmare. Every mistake that's made while flying or managing the A/C will be blamed on you. JUST SAY NO.

Arrow11 said:
Anybody care to relate experiences good or bad of flying with an owner operator? Might have a chance to fly with a Pvt ASEL who want to get into a King Air of maybe a 421, he's an ok guy, although he is way overconfident with his own skills, I would be sitting right seat for the most part, also have to work at his business on our down days. Money would be ok, $60K, QOL good as well. I'm bothered about being a babysitter, rather than a pilot plus he is overly optimistic about the operating costs, in my experience there's always something that costs you a bunch of money operating these airplanes.

If you have experience as an instructor then you'll probably be able to do this kind of job. If not then run like hell.

Babysitting jobs are okay if you have the experience doing it. Let's face it (not to be condescending), all of us who instructed had students who persistently tried to kill us. I know I had my fair share. Most I straightened out. A couple may have been beyond salvation... The only way you'll know is to find out.

I will say this and it cannot be overstated: IF YOU ACCEPT THE POSITION DO NOT ALLOW THE GUY TO MAKE YOU UNCOMFORTABLE. If you wind up in a bad spot then Climb, Confess, Conserve, Communicate. Don't let anyone (including yourself) talk you into doing something dumb because you were too proud or afraid to go around for another look.

I would also have a very long "Come to Jesus" meeting with the guy before you go fly with him. Lay down the ground rules just like he were a student. "If I say, 'My Flight Controls' then the airplane is mine. No arguments until we land. Period."

Are you giving up something to go there or can you quit with no strings? That's an important point. If the guy makes you crazy be sure you have an escape route.

As noted, you can find a dream job out of the deal if you work it right.

Best of luck.

HMR's experience is the exception that proves the rule. In the past, I've have 3 or 4 baby-sitting jobs. Over the past 39 years, they have been the source of most of my "experiences".

Personally, I won't babysit anymore; but if you're so inclined, Legacy Driver's post give some good tips. You can't let your guard down, even for a moment, they will try to kill you. It's all to easy to complacent under those circumstances - after all, the guy has his PPL (or CPL or even ATP and a type), just how bad can he really be? :rolleyes:

'Sled

Latest resources

Back