Overseas flying

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Never Trust A Monkey
Can anyone offer some advice on pursuing careers in the Pacific Rim? I've checkout some of the major airline websites, and I meet the minimums for some. However, I also heard that there are headhunter services that pilots can sign up for that some of the lesser known airlines use.

Any ideas?

Mike

very few hired directly ( air china or china air I think, korean maybe?) all the other use crew leasing companies. do a google search , you'll find a bunch ( hawaian, riskworth.....) be very careful aobut going as an fo, as they might not upgrade you. read the contract.

I'm at EVA and it is not perfect, FAR from it. However, it IS better than a US regional. I flew for 2 in the US, and this beats it for sure in all areas except total days off in a month, and this only applies if you are senior at a US regional. Several US guys recently have gone to the MD-11 and that is supposed to be hell though.

Keep in mind, you must come here with an open mind, as it is not a US airline.

Last edited:
What makes it so different than US airlines? I had the impression that it was better than spending the next 6 years at a regional (nicer hotels, better destinations, more pay). Are US pilots not welcome over there? The way I look at it, I became a pilot to travel the world and see new cultures. I wouldn't go overseas to build time, but rather build a career it that part of the world.

I understand the risk involved going over there, but I think it's worth a shot. :)

It seems however, that most of the positions for these airlines require time in type....

Last edited:
I fly with guys that came from working as expats and I fly with guys that are going to work as expats. I also meet a lot of expats in layovers. better that US regional ....that's a given .I flew for the us regionals, nothing worst, , and I was at "one of the good ones".

most foreing wide body do required time in type, but china air ( or is it air china, I get them confused) does not ( for fo). also, with korean you are base at any of the cities they fly in the USA at least 3 times a week, and they make your line so you have your layovers here , so you get extra days off.

singapore , gulf air, emirates... will hire you without time in type. there are multiple other narrow body starups in india and china that will hire you with no tyme in type and will upgrade you and then you can make the jump to the ones that fly the big iron .

if you want to see the world and experience opther cutures it is the way to go, howerver, it is hard to come and fly for the US afterwards because of the lack of contacts you make . be aware of that.

Cathay Pacific is in a HUGE hiring boom. Check them out.
I'm based in LAX, fly the -400 out of initial training, have 6 weeks vacation, and get paid more then any US major pilot vice maybe FedEx.

They have many different hiring options and career paths and you can take tempory basings anywhere in the world.

Look at www.cathaypacific.com for more info.

Latest resources

Back