Overseas Credit Cards

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

spitfire1500

Just wanted to find out from some of you guys doing the Atlas, Southern, Kalitta type of flying what you are using as far as credit cards for personal use. I am constantly having trouble with mine if I use it in a few countries over a short period of time.. My card company says I need to call each time I'm going overseas and tell them where I'm headed...yea like thats an option when my gtrip changes in Nairobi or Lagos..

I use a Citi Mastercard. I use it all over the world with only the occasional glitch. When it gets denied for a possible fraud alert, the bank calls you(I carry an international cell), you verify your identity and it gets turned back on instantly. That being said, it's only happened maybe two or three times. I spoke with Citi and they said the program tracks your usage and will not deny if it sees a trend of overseas use. That may be good or bad. I like that it denies me on occasion. Makes me think someone is actually looking out for my account. I've never had any issues other than that...Now my Wells Fargo card is another story...

I use a Visa Check card from my bank. I only keep a few hundred in it just in case it gets lost or stolen. I can go online anywhere and refill it when it gets low.

If u qualify for USAA, go with them...used to overseas travellers.

Another vote for Citi Mastercard. I don't use it much however. Most places we go take debit cards. But don't use Bank of America for an ATM/Debit card for cash, they charge $5 every time you get cash out overseas. I just take cash out before I leave the country and use it as a debit card (no fee).

Plus one for USAA. Best of everything out there, IMHO. I called them once years ago to let them know I would be overseas a lot and to put a note in my file, and I have never had any issue since. Plus USAA has extremely low international charges when some other companies' charges can be outrageous.

Another satisfied USAA customer. Been with them since the mid '70s and have no complaints. They even refund any ATM fees I incur anywhere in the world. That alone makes it a pretty good per diem card.

HSBC credit or debit.... You can link it to your regular bank accounts. HSBC is just about everywhere in asia and the world for that matter

I use a debit card for my Charles Schwab Bank account. I transfer small amounts of money into it as I need. Unlimited worldwide ATM fee refunds, no min balance, $0 to open, no fees.

I also have a USAA debit card too, also really good.

Latest resources

Back