Overlapping airspace?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PanAm24

Assuming a particular class D airspace has vertical limits of 2,600 ft. MSL. There's a class B shelf starting at 2,000 ft. MSL is partially located over this D airspace. What type of airspace exists here? If it is B, then can anyone explain why?

-----------------------
Bravo shelf 70/20
------
-- D ---
-----------------------
-- D ---
-- 2,900 ---
-----------

sorry about the poor illustration :D

FAR Part 71.9

(a) When overlapping airspace designations apply to the same airspace, the operating rules associated with the more restrictive airspace designation apply.

(b) For the purposes of this section.........

(2) Class B is more restrictive than Class C, Class D, Class E or Class G.

Is that what you're looking for?

The only time I've ever seen this, they lower the ceiling of the entire Class D. On the chart it would read [-20] for your example. Maybe this isn't always the case but it applies in MCO, MIA, SFO, LAX, SAN. Same applies to Class C when overlapped by B.

I have never seen a "partial" overlapping of D by B, without the entire D ceiling being lowered to the level of the portion of D being overlapped (what a mouthful!!!).

Do you have any example of class D with an "uneven" ceiling? I've never seen one.

I have never seen a "partial" overlapping of D by B, without the entire D ceiling being lowered to the level of the portion of D being overlapped (what a mouthful!!!).

Do you have any example of class D with an "uneven" ceiling? I've never seen one.

Timebuilder,
Take a look at the current Phoenix Terminal chart - (FFZ) Falcon Field, east of Sky Harbor.

Thanks tarp. That does answer my question.

BTW, the FFZ case is the one which actually prompted my question in the first place... it is a perfect example!!

Latest resources

Back