Overhead bins that move when the wing bounnces

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Skymeg

Just want to make sure I'm not crazy. When I was on an MD-88 recently, sitting at a wing exit, it looked as though the overhead bins above my head were being pulled out away from the center of the fuselage and bouncing back whenever we went over a large bump on the taxiway. It seemed as thought the whole side of the fuselage was doing the same thing, as well. This was even more apparent during takeoff roll. Somebody please tell me if this is normal...or if the plane I was in should be retired. The pulling effect seemed to coincide with the "bouncing" of the flexible wing. (Excuse me for not knowing how to put this in technical terms.) I have been a passenger many times before, and never noticed this. I am guessing that the fuselage is built to flex a bit to revent breakage and that is all I was seeing. But f anyone out there knows exactly what I am talking about, please explain. Thanks! Yes, good CRM would have told me to ask the pilot, but as a not-so-experienced private certificate holder, I was too shy. Didn't want anyone to think I was under the influence of something.

Airplanes flex. That's completely normal.

If you really want to see a show, look at the overhead bins in a B-777 during turbulence. They move back and forth independant of the seats. The effect probably grows with fuselage diameter, since the bins and the seats are attached to opposite ends of the tube.

The plane could be built so it didn't do that, but it would be much, much heavier.

Thank you for your educated response. I won't get white-knuckled next time
I experience this. Pretty fascinating how it all works.

Skymeg said:
Thank you for your educated response. I won't get white-knuckled next time
I experience this. Pretty fascinating how it all works.
Just wait untill you fly freight and you have to explain to rampies that the net cant remain secured to the ceiling of the airplane when they ratchet the back end of the net to the floor.

Skymeg said:
Just want to make sure I'm not crazy. When I was on an MD-88 recently, sitting at a wing exit, it looked as though the overhead bins above my head were being pulled out away from the center of the fuselage and bouncing back whenever we went over a large bump on the taxiway. It seemed as thought the whole side of the fuselage was doing the same thing, as well. This was even more apparent during takeoff roll. Somebody please tell me if this is normal...or if the plane I was in should be retired. The pulling effect seemed to coincide with the "bouncing" of the flexible wing. (Excuse me for not knowing how to put this in technical terms.) I have been a passenger many times before, and never noticed this. I am guessing that the fuselage is built to flex a bit to revent breakage and that is all I was seeing. But f anyone out there knows exactly what I am talking about, please explain. Thanks! Yes, good CRM would have told me to ask the pilot, but as a not-so-experienced private certificate holder, I was too shy. Didn't want anyone to think I was under the influence of something.

It feels even worse when you have an exit row window seat and the armrest is attached to the window exit panel. They really move a lot as you described and your arm and elbow move with it. Very normal but very disconcerting.

~DC

Latest resources

Back