Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

P3-Adub

Bye Bye !!!
Any links to the limitations of pilots over age 60 flying 135 in Europe ? For that matter, how about part 91 ??? PIC and SIC ? Have been searching through NBAA but cannot find a link/article yet. Any help would be greatly apreciated. Does anyone have a list of countries with a limitation of this sort ? How about the second pilot being type rated ?

Yes to the 2nd pilot being typed ... as for the old fart I do not believe that there is a limitation. Look down at your shoes and figure that airplane at any given time could have a pilot pushing 65.

Here is the pertinnent document from ICAO Annex 1:

Current ICAO provisions

An age limit of 60 years is established for pilots engaged in scheduled international air services or non-scheduled international air transport operations for remuneration or hire. It is a Standard for the pilot-in-command and a Recommendation for the co-pilot. The exact provisions are as follows (Annex 1, Chapter 2, paragraph 2.1.10):
2.1.10 Curtailment of privileges of pilots who have attained their 60th birthday2.1.10.1 A Contracting State, having issued pilot licences, shall not permit the holders thereof to act as pilot-in-command of an aircraft engaged in scheduled international air services or non-scheduled international air transport operations for remuneration or hire if the licence holders have attained their 60th birthday.
2.1.10.2 Recommendation.A Contracting State, having issued pilot licences, should not permit the holders thereof to act as co-pilot of an aircraft engaged in scheduled international air services or non-scheduled international air transport operations for remuneration or hire if the licence holders have attained their 60th birthday.

How that document is interpreted and implimented varies widely among 135 operators. Make your own judgement how it should be deal with.

FWIW, the ICAO web site also says this:

Possible amendment of the ICAO provisions on the age limit for flight crew

ICAO is presently considering an amendment that would raise the upper age limit for pilots from 60 to 65. The earliest date at which the amendment would become applicable, if adopted by the ICAO Council, is November 2006.

Maybe there's some hope for us old foggies yet.

Age 60

Remember, "Going to WAR without French support is much akin to diving a submarine without a parachute" ... neither one will help you or our cause.

"Tell me, how many Frenchmen does it take to defend France? ... No one knows, they've never tried"

TransMach

Actually, there have been reported instances of enforcement in France, Italy, and, bion, Brazil.

However, that doesn't change the fact that a Part 135 operator can use the document I quoted to prohibit any pilot over 60 from serving as PIC to any destination out of the U.S. Cananda, Bermuda, wherever.

Trust me, I know at least one operator that is doing just that.

eljefe

Thanks for your reply. I have printed Annex 1, ICAO "Personal Licensing". I too have come to the same conclusion however it appears for now that an over age 60 pilot CAN fly into Europe and be listed as the SIC. France, who knows with them.

Any operators out there using over age 60 pilots in International 135 operations ? Any good or bad experiences are appreciated. Will have to attend the International Ops Conference next year for an update.

G100, you are aboslutely right, one day it will be me looking at my shoes and trying to figure out how I can make this great career last just a little longer. For now I will just try to help out my father so that he is not put out to pasture earlier than need be. We also have a guy approaching age 60 here so it concerns me some outside of my personal interests. Don't you have a plane to go clean or something ??? I swear you are on this board entirely too often, not saying much for myself.

P3-Adub said:
Thanks for your reply. I have printed Annex 1, ICAO "Personal Licensing". I too have come to the same conclusion however it appears for now that an over age 60 pilot CAN fly into Europe and be listed as the SIC. France, who knows with them.

Any operators out there using over age 60 pilots in International 135 operations ? Any good or bad experiences are appreciated. Will have to attend the International Ops Conference next year for an update.

G100, you are aboslutely right, one day it will be me looking at my shoes and trying to figure out how I can make this great career last just a little longer. For now I will just try to help out my father so that he is not put out to pasture earlier than need be. We also have a guy approaching age 60 here so it concerns me some outside of my personal interests. Don't you have a plane to go clean or something ??? I swear you are on this board entirely too often, not saying much for myself.

Yes, you are correct about me being on this board too often.

Now where did I put that buffer:rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back