Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RJP

Registered Eye-Poker
Just curious if anyone has EVER heard of this happening.

The other day an FO (not new to aviation) was doing a first flight walk-around. Said FO decided that it was a good idea to make sure the pitot tube wasn't loose. The pitot tube was left on by MX (reportedly). Said FO proceeded to grab (not just touch or prod), yes, that's right, GRAB the pitot tube and hold on. Apparently, after the blisters formed and the skin peeled off, said FO released the pitot tube. The FO was not able to fly the entire day (working radios instead) and has since gone on comp.

I've not talked with a single person who has ever heard of this happening and the response is always the same after hearing about it. "You've got to be sh i tting me!"

Dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Mean flight instructor

I heard of a flight insructor who had a mean trick. When he had a new student preflight a pitot static tube, he would show them how to grasp the tube and blow into it. When they in turn demonstrated their proficiency in doing so, he would take their picture.

Why would somebody do this? That could ruin someones political career.

CJ610

cj610 said:
he would show them how to grasp the tube and blow into it.

That would look cute on a dirigible, you could label the picture "John applies a few more psi to the envelope before departure"

what about the guy from netjets with the static wick sticking out of his eye? poor bugger....

i feel bad for this FO. that had to hurt like hell.

Not only have I heard of it....I've seen it firsthand. A 747 Captain at one of the Majors wanted me to check him out in a C-210 he bought. He wanted to check the pitot heat, so he turned it on, and went and lightly touched the pitot tube. It wasn't warm, he said. He then proceeded to full on grab the pitot tube. In the next 2 seconds or so it got hot enough to give him nasty burns and take the skin off(which continued to smolder on the pitot tube for a few more seconds). Of course, then he had to tell me....repeatedly....that he was smarter than that, and knew not to do that, but had a "dumbass moment". :D

I've seen a bunch of Learjet operators who do that routinely as a part of their preflight inspections.

Maybe the Lear 31 pitot tubes dont get that hot.

I dont think i'm gonna test that theory. lol

A lot of jets have certain (but not all) probes, vents, or vanes, etc. heated on the ground. Many of these aren't "switched" per se and come on with the battery master(s). RTFM (Read The Fricken Manual) is operative here.

'Sled

I had a student who would go out to preflight a c-172 and I can't count how many times he'd come back in with blood gushing from his head. It took him 200 hours just to solo. Go figure!!!!

cj610 said:
I heard of a flight insructor who had a mean trick. When he had a new student preflight a pitot static tube, he would show them how to grasp the tube and blow into it. When they in turn demonstrated their proficiency in doing so, he would take their picture.

Why would somebody do this? That could ruin someones political career.

CJ610

When my initial instructor 'taught' me how to pre-flight, he wanted me to suck on the stall horn on a 152. That thing was covered with bugs - i said hell no. I figured he was played a joke on me. Not so - he insisted, but i refused and told him i'll only do things he does first (good advice to follow, if you don't want to get tricked). He demonstrated and sucked on that thing like he just won a 'sucking competition' over the weekend. I kinda half-assed blowed on the thing (i ain't sucking any bugs into my mouth) and bought me one of those stall-horn testers from sporty :D.

Latest resources

Back