"Other approaches"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sundevil said:
I guess that according to them, an ILS is an ILS whether you do it as a precision or a non precision approach.

wow...so if the Glide slope is out of service, they still consider it the same approach?

(to clarify)
ABC airport has ILS ry 12R
DEF airport has ILS ry 28 but the GS is out.
GHI airport has VOR approach

That cross country wouldn't count?

-mini

Any ATC'ers

I can't use a localizer only approach cause there aren't any localizer only minimums. Thanks for all the info fellas. Does anyone know where to find the criteria for par's and asr's, just wondering why we can't get em here. I imagine it has to with radar coverage.

MTpilot said:
I can't use a localizer only approach cause there aren't any localizer only minimums. Thanks for all the info fellas. Does anyone know where to find the criteria for par's and asr's, just wondering why we can't get em here. I imagine it has to with radar coverage.

Without knowing the approach you are talking about, but usually ILS's show approach minimums if the glideslope fails. Just look at the ILS approach plate and see if it is there. If it is not, I appologise.

Rattler71

The PTS requires one precision and two non-precision approaches. Can you do a localizer back course off of the ILS, a VOR and an ILS?

Big Sky Country

It looks like I'll have to send him to Helena for an NDB. It takes about an hour to get there in a 172, I'll probably have him do the whole thing with an examiner over there instead of having an extra couple hours of checkride. There are no loc only mins for this approach and no published backcourse, although I do think those would both satisfy the requirements if they were available. Thanks for all the info Fellas.

Why not just talk to the examiner and ask him what he would like to do on the checkride. (If he doesn't like to give out specifics ask him how long you should reserve the aircraft for (assuming a rental). If you have to fly elsewhere that way you can plan accordingly timewise.

Well, the main idea is just to avoid a four hour checkride. Two extra hours of flying is just two extra hours for my student to screw up, not that he would of course...

Yeah, not sure I like the idea of going an hour away to shoot an approach and then an hour back.

What happens if he doinks the NDB? Then he's got to fly back for an hour knowing he busted the check ride...then go back another hour to shoot the NDB again. Thats a lot of hobbs time...and a lot of time to think about doinking the ride. Not saying he would, but it could happen.

-mini

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back