OT.....but radar detectors

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Do you have one?

• Whats the big deal,I use mine on the way to grocery store....

Votes: 16 32.0%
  • Use it and hide it when you get pulled over.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • I want one!

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Never really thought about it, but it would be cool to have.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Never really thought about it, but probably not.

Votes: 11 22.0%
  • I would never be in a vehicle with one. It encourages speeding!

Votes: 5 10.0%

• Total voters
You are better off without one. They are pretty useless anyway. As one pointed out they don't detect laser's. Most cops around here don't sit with radar on anyway. They wait until you are insight and hit the button. Then it's too late for your detector to work. By then you are busted and going to get a ticket especially if they see you have a detector. Depending on how much over you were going it may get reduced. If you have a detector don't count on it. I know I wouldn't reduce it for you. Just set your cruise at ten over or just under ten over and you should be fine. If your record is good and you do get pulled over don't lie about it. If they ask how fast you were going tell them. They already know and they just want to see if you will lie to them. That makes them really upset. They don't have to reduce it or let you go. If you are nice about it and don't lie. They may reduce or even let you off. Save your money and bye something else with it. Don't waste your money on a laser or radar detector. It may save you once but not ususally more than that.

Dep676, I have to disagree with you. Detectors can pick up laser. Take a look at valentines website at www.valentine1.com. There are other manufacturers as well. I have had mine for over one year and it has paid for itself many times over. Even if the police are using instant on, you will typically get a brief warning as he engages cars up ahead and this gives you enough time to slow. The valentine actually tells you if the laser/radar is coming from in front/behind or even the side. Obviously the best way to avoid a ticket is to obey the speed limit but, the valentine 1 works very well for those who cannot resist the occassional high speed run. We have an awful lot of members in the Porsche Club who swear by them.

Yeah I agree with you also. However the original post was about radar detectors not laser detectors. It may have paid off for now. Your time will come and you will wish you didn't have it hanging on the dash. There is no forgiving when you walk up to a car and see that. Then you don't have time to hide it. They will see that too. Just remember don't lie about how fast you were going. They do help but it only takes once for you to get caught and then you will pay enough in fines to buy another detector.

v1 user and abuser

The V1 has saved my bacon from the pan more than once. Properly mounted, with a remote LED light in my peripheral vision (for my motorcycle, it's hidden inside my car with a remote display), I get laser warnings before they've had "enough" time to paint me (and I know, also, which towns use laser around me, so I'm not as, erm, fast?); but with radar, it is rarely a contest. I'll know, I'd be a solid 90% of the time, before I'm in range to be hit with radar.

On the motorcycle, even at nominal speeds, I can get down pretty quick. But, more and more... I speeding more on the track than on the streets. Frankly, it's pretty retarded to 100+ on city roads...

Cheers!

--EDIT--

Also, when I've been nailed, I never, ever lie. I know I've been caught, I'm going to acknowledge to the officer when he tells me what I was doing (for legal reasons)

Monitoring

I feel it is every citizen's right to know when he/she is being monitored. How can detectors be made illegal in some states, ie. CT? It all seems a little anti-American to me.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back