• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

typhoonpilot

Daddy
Oshkosh accommodation ??

I was just talking with a Kiwi friend of mine who is planning a trip to Oshkosh this year. He is looking for accomodation within a 1 hour drive of the field. Any suggestions ? He did say he would not mind staying with a family if possible.

Typhoonpilot

Last edited:
He is driving then, too bad he will miss the real flavor of what Osh is for us pilots... sleeping under the wing in the grass, sometimes when it storms, then using those cool-scented portapotties, getting plantars warts on your feet while showering with a couple of dozen other naked guys... wait a minute!
Actually Osh has a housing organization all set up... you need to track it down and the best place to start is the www.eaa.org website I bet...is it too late? I have seen places advertised in some GA rags but thats pretty rare.

If you dont need all the comforts of home camping is definately the way to go. There is a great campground there and you cant beat waking up to the sound of T-6s flying over.

I have stayed at the UW-Oshkosh before for HS tournaments. They have set up an older dorm as a conference center. It is $44 a night per room (two twin beds per room) and the price can't be beat. Very bare bones, but also cheap if you put two people per room. Food is all over the place around campus.

If you want to stay with a family, you might want to check out this: http://www.oshkoshcvb.org/eaa-extra.htm

Jedi_Cheese said:
I have stayed at the UW-Oshkosh before for HS tournaments. They have set up an older dorm as a conference center. It is $44 a night per room (two twin beds per room) and the price can't be beat. Very bare bones, but also cheap if you put two people per room. Food is all over the place around campus.

If you want to stay with a family, you might want to check out this: http://www.oshkoshcvb.org/eaa-extra.htm

Jedi has the nail on the head, I fly in every year and stay at the college, you can't beat it, you will be put on a waiting list but you will always get a room.

I know he isn't flying himself in, but there is non-under-wing-camping too. I camped out in '99 in the north 40 when I flew there from oregon in a c172 at age 18, solo... one of the best experiences of my youth; met a lot of really cool people camping out there, and being woken up by a B-17 taking off right in front of me was something else!

I went to college in Oshkosh. Graduated in '03. I also worked at the airshow for two summers. By now, most, if not all, housing within a reasonable driving distance is booked (except my mom's house :)). You can try to get lucky with any of the info posted above. Always worth a try. Flying in and camping next to your plane on the north 40 is in my opinion the best way to go. If you have to drive, and like to camp, Camp Scholler is a great place. They don't take reservations and always have space. You'll run into people from all corners of the world and all walks of aviation. The group I'll be there with reserved a room for me, but I might still stay in the campgrounds. Its a great time. Have fun!

Latest resources

Back