• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

OSH incident today

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
OSHKOSH, Wisconsin (AP) -- Two single-engine war planes at an experimental air show collided while landing Friday, killing one of the pilots and injuring the other, officials said.

One pilot died and the other suffered minor injuries after the planes clipped wings.
2 of 2 The Federal Aviation Administration said the collision between the two P-51 Mustangs happened at 3:17 p.m. after the planes finished a performance at the Experimental Aircraft Association's annual AirVenture show.

P-51 Mustangs are single-seat fighters that were used in World War II.

FAA and the National Transportation Safety Board investigators were on the scene on Friday.

NTSB spokesman Ted Lopatkiewicz said one pilot died and the other had minor injuries when the planes clipped wings on landing.

He said an NTSB investigator on the scene scheduled a news briefing Saturday afternoon at the Wittman Regional Airport terminal.

The annual convention is considered one of the world's largest gatherings of recreational aviators. It draws more than 600,000 people and 10,000 planes from around the world. The weeklong event ends Sunday.

Very sad...I took my daughter to OSH on Wednesday, where she took a picture of me standing next to "Stang".

With the incident/accident rate being as high as it is, you would think that people would quit taking off/landing in formation. This is the second accident, if I recall correctly, where there were two warbirds destroyed in such a manner. The other was an incident with two Corsairs, but on takeoff.

Latest resources

Back