Orlando Flight Training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dmiller66a

Does anyone have experience with, or know anything about Orlando Flight Training, (Orlando, FL)? Just trying to make a decision about which flight school to attend. Thanks.

Why not go to the Comair flight academy? At least they offer a guaranteed job interview with SkyWest.

After the hurricanes hit, a few of their CFI's applied to work at Air Orlando which has bounced back considerably. OFT from what I remember looked large from their website, but in reality was a very small operation.

~wheelsup

dmiller66a said:
Yes, OFT as in Kissimmee

Sorry, but I can't, in good conscience, recommend OFT. I have been to their operation....and I know a DPE that does checkrides there...and I don't have anything really good to say(other than they have - or at least had - a really hot female CFI).

Just to make sure you understand....OFT and Air Orlando are two totally different operations. Some people seem to confuse the two, but they are nothing alike. OFT is based at ISM(Kissimmee), and Air Orlando is based at ORL(Orlando Executive). Air Orlando has, I believe, about 25 aircraft - 4 of which are helicopters. Prior to Hurricane Charlie, there were approximately 30 aircraft. About 15 were totalled, and they are replacing them quickly with mostly brand new aircraft.

PM me if you have any specific questions. Don't expect an immediate reply, though...I'm on the road and may not be able to check this site for 3-4 days.

Not exactly major training and might not even be relevant to your goals, but last year I was planning a trip down there and decide to rent an airplane for a flight around Florida to visit friends and family. (the story of the trip is on my web site). Looked at both OFT and Air Orlando. Pricing and policies led me to choose Air Orlando, which, from initial contact by email to checking a minor squawk before we even finished the exit paperwork on my return, I found to be the best run operation of its type I'd ever been through as a renter pilot.

Air Orlando runs a good operation. Their bookstore was THE place in central FL to get reference materials on just about anything. I've known several CFIs and higher-ups in there and they're good people. They're well-represented in the Orlando FSDO safety program as well.

Avion Jet in Sanford is another place to consider if you're going to the Orlando area. Their website is http://www.avionaviation.com/home.htm They take a lot of DCA cast-offs since they're right next door. Can't tell you much about the op, though.

DCA is placing people in more and more airlines lately. If you have the $$ and want to get through fast, that's the place to go....you'll work hard for it, though. I'm an alumni and can attest to the hard work it takes. They now have a part-time 141 program which allows you to hold a job while you train so the two don't inerfere.

Good Luck!

Latest resources

Back