Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Steeler Fan

Here we go Steelers!
Just heard on the local Pittsburgh news that the US Airways OCC will be in PIT.

Same location as before?

"new $25 million, 60,000 square foot flight operations control center."..Looks like a new spot.

"new $25 million, 60,000 square foot flight operations control center."..Looks like a new spot.

:eek: $25 mil !!!!!!!!

better than NASA for that $$$$

I really don't think there was ever a serious doubt about where they were going to locate it. I hope the PHX dispatchers don't have too hard a time adjusting to the climate change.

Dredging this up from the past, but I'm curious. With the US cutbacks at PIT, is the combined OCC still going there?

Airways is simply locating the OCC in PIT to appease those senior, hard core types that have never got the message that Allegheny changed it's name to US Air back at the dawn of de-reg.

I personanlly think it's wrong to move the ops center to PIT, particularly when it will cost several HP folks their jobs, and it being HP that saved US and thus those folks in PIT and elsewhere on the East side their own jobs.

My 2 cents

Here is something from a friend of mine, making the move from a western SOC to the frozen tundra of PIT...

"[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]I completed my bid earlier this week. Beginning March 1st I will be a line holder for International flight operations. Shortly after my arrival in Pittsburgh I will begin training for my new classification.

I will undergo approximately 2-3 weeks of classroom training to learn B767 and A330 systems and performance, as well as the nuances of flight planning the North Atlantic Tracks and the European/Caribbean theater of operations.

Following the classroom portion will be another 2 weeks (minimum) of desk training, follwed by yet another competency check, and a three day jumpseat/route qualification trip to somewhere in Europe and back.

All of this will going on while working on getting the house here in Phoenix sold, commuting back and forth from PIT/PHX every other week to continue taking care of business here, as well as house hunting in Pittsburgh.

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]
US Airways International Dispatcher Initial class is two weeks (80 hours) of general subjects as related to NAT and Euro operations and two days (16 hours) of Airbus 330 equipment training. We had one entire day just on Eurocontrol and the CFMU.

Starting sometime around the 8th of March when I get to PIT I'll begin desk training for an absolute minimum of 15 shifts/150 hours. At some point during desk training I'll do a route qualification trip to somewhere in Europe and back, and then that will put me in queue for my Intl comp check sometime toward the end of March/early April.
[/FONT]

We had one entire day just on Eurocontrol and the CFMU.

Man, 1 full day MIGHT be enough...If you've never dealt with Eurocontrol, it's really something! Of course, with canned routes it's probably not so bad, but if you ever do any ad-hoc, or position type flights, it can be quite a chore.

Latest resources

Back