Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Oppose Sen. Jim DeMint's CVR bill (S. 3048)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am more pissed at Praters response than the Bill itself..How about instead of sending money to Alpa-Pac and a freaking letter, He grows a sack and threatens a complete shutdown of the airlines if this thing even gains steam..

Bingo!

And if I remember correctly, there is precedence in the courts that a strike due to a safety related issue has been upheld as legal as long as it is not used in context with contract negotiations.

Nationwide SOS if this thing passes.

Another way to get your message to your Senator:

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]The Coalition of Airline Pilots Associations (CAPA) has an alert as well, so you you can go to www.capapilots.org, click on the "Write Congress" button in the upper left-hand corner of the CAPA Home Page. Under the "Take Action" header, click on "Oppose DeMint CVR Amendment." Enter your zip code in the "Action Alert" box, write your name in the "Your Name" box, enter your sender information and click "Send Message."[/FONT]

And here is a cut & paste text for an email or letter:

Dear Senator (insert pejorative adjective here):

Senator Jim DeMint (R-SC) has introduced S. 3048 to allow the use of Cockpit Voice Recorders (CVR) to monitor behavior in the cockpit and take disciplinary action against pilots. I urge you to vote "No" on the DeMint Amendment.

• Use of CVR data for punitive action would destroy voluntary safety reporting systems like the Aviation Safety Action Program (ASAP) and the Flight Operational Quality Assurance program (FOQA) and greatly reduce operational safety.
  • The NTSB has not asked for DeMint Amendment; NTSB Chair Deborah Hersman has specifically said CVR data should not be used for punitive purposes. Safety officers at air carriers and pilot unions alike oppose any such use of CVR data.
  • I urge you to support the use of ASAP and voluntary safety programs at all carriers; these programs have led to an unprecedented increase in the level of flight safety among mainline carriers over the last decade and should be a part of all commercial flight operations.
  • As an alternative I encourage you to support legislation like S. 1744, which would raise the level of experience and professionalism in the cockpit by requiring that all Part 121 commercial airline pilots have an ATP with at least 1500 hours flight time in a variety of conditions.

The passage of this amendment will have a seriously negative effect on airline safety and pilot morale. I urge you to vote “No.”

Thank you for your time and attention to this very important matter.

Sincerely,

CAPA....now that's comedy....

It takes an ALPA action to get the "coalition" involved.....what a joke!

All politicians ignore email.

Take the time to send a real letter in the snail mail. I did. Please do the same.

All politicians ignore email.

Take the time to send a real letter in the snail mail. I did. Please do the same.

He's Right......I did the same (actually both)!

This bill has no co-sponsors as of its last update on 2/26/10 when it went to committee. If my memory serves me correctly, it is dead without any.

Latest resources

Back