• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Opinions are like....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
4 days a month should be really easy to do with as much time off as we get.

Not sure about the ICAO ATP thing. It wasn't an online app when I applied. I had to kill a tree and send a hard copy. I'm inclined to say it doesn't matter and just tick the box but let me ask around. They go through a process with the HKCAD to get your license converted anyway.

two 5-7 day trips is about right. I've never had a month where I had three trips fall into the same month because you would be into overtime and the company doesn't like to do that. It makes for a fat paycheck though... Trips start in the middle of the night on the first night then are basically on your body clock the rest of the way. A typical trip would be.... Leave LAX 0200. Sometimes we stop in SFO or YVR depending on the night of the week. Then in to ANC about 0800 that morning. Leave ANC for HKG sometime the next morning depending on the flight you get rostered to. Into HKG early afternoon and about a 24-30 hour layover. Leave next day for ANC. Get into ANC, layover and leave for LAX early evening next day. Trip ends in LAX and you go home and turn off the phone for the next 6-9 days! You may fly the trip with the same crew or most likely it will be a different crew for each leg.

Most guys gameplan is do your 3 year freighter lock and then go passenger. Some stay on the freighter to do an early command but FO passenger pay is almost as much as freighter Captain pay and the schedules are much better. With your quals you would be a DEFO. Don't even check the SO box.

We have had one reservist take mil leave to do an AT. I don't think they were too happy about it but whatever. He took three weeks off if I remember correctly. But if worst came to worst we get 42 days vacation per year. I'm sure you could fit in a C-17 trip in there somewhere.

Time to command currently is 9-10 on the passenger and can be as little as 2 on the freighter if you have the correct experience.

Interview and training both are challenging but if a dumba$$ like me can make it through then I'm sure you can....

Forgot to mention

Oh yeah... retirement age is going to change from 55 to 65 shortly. That will add about 3 years to command. Probably a wash as it will inevitably change here in the US too.

We also get paid per diem in cash at check-in at the hotel. I make about an extra $400 a month from this after paying for food (and even drinks).

The company and pilot body are also in contract negotiations. There is way too much in that animal to talk about here because there may be some pitfalls in it. Typical give this but I'm going to take that... Like I said before... At the end of the day it's a pretty darn good job.

A few follow up questions for anyone in the know about World Airways:

When was the current contract signed? Amendable? How does it compare to other contracts you've worked under?

Regarding home basing - how often can your "home base of choice" be changed, and how much notice is required?

How are your deadhead days considered for duty? Day on? Paid? At what rate?

Where do you typically deadhead to, or is it completely unpredictable?

Do you know if you're flying cargo or pax month to month? Day to day? Do you care?

How's the medical coverage?

Thanks again gents.....

Last edited:
Got a shot with World? Hope all goes well! Can't answer specifically for them, but if you're truly home based, you can pretty much live where you want within reason. We have two guys living in Hawaii, one in Alaska, one in the Dominican Republic (or was at one point anyway...), one who lived in Thailand, and one in Germany. They occasionally had to cut some deals for travel, but generally, if you live anywhere near an airport with reasonable commercial service, you shouldn't have a problem. If/when you move, just inform them of your new airport. Never been a problem for us anyway.

Man b707guy, you're fast! I was in the middle of editing my post.

I don't have an interivew, but I'm considering sending my resume again. I was emailed about 3 years ago about an interview, but the timing wasn't right so I passed. Of course, circumstances change and hindsight being what it is......you know. I'm starting to think that whenever I come up with a career decision, I should just do the opposite!

So what are you waiting for? Just send it in and see where it takes you! I should probably be sending one in myself, but for some reason, I'm hopeful for a future here. Call me crazy, but I can't walk away from the seniority and longevity I've established here while there's still hope (barring a miracle second chance with either brown or purple, of course...).

A few follow up questions for anyone in the know about World Airways:

When was the current contract signed? Amendable? How does it compare to other contracts you've worked under?

Current contract was signed in 2006 and is up for renegotiations in March, 2009. It's a great contract, everyone is happy with it.

Regarding home basing - how often can your "home base of choice" be changed, and how much notice is required?
Yes, it can be changed, 72 hours notice. But the base you want to fly out of must have at least 2 major carriers.

How are your deadhead days considered for duty? Day on? Paid? At what rate?
DH, even from Home base, is paid at half your flight pay. They are considered duty and if you go over 16 hours without rest, you get half flight pay for any DH above 16 hours. Or you can demand a hotel.

Where do you typically deadhead to, or is it completely unpredictable?
Depends on your bid line and equipment. Most trips are setup where you start stateside and then fly overseas. But if you don't get awarded a bid line you may start anywhere.

Do you know if you're flying cargo or pax month to month? Day to day? Do you care?
The bid lines tell all. But I don't care. I prefer a mix just to keep it all interesting.

How's the medical coverage?
Medical is the best I've seen in the industry. United Health Care PPO and I only pay $129 a month for me and my wife and kids. No deductibles, $10 copays across the board, Max presciption out of pocket is $10.

Thanks for the info Dutch747. Would you happen to have a .pdf of your contract and a bidpack you could PM to me? I have many more questions, but most of them I can probably answer myself from the above documents. Thanks...

Latest resources

Back