Opinions and tips please

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Pintarski

I will be in class at SkyWest within a few weeks. As this is my first time at an airline, I have a few questions regarding some mundane issues. By the way, I am very happy to have these issues.

Pilot supplies - I am a minimalist in this area. I understand that I will be carrying around a load of jepps and an aircraft manual of some sort. What else might I find that is useful, but not cumbersome?

Uniforms - there seems to be quite a few choices out there. Shirt pockets, whacky flaps, pocket protectors, built in whiz wheels?! Any tips on what I might actually find handy and what is not necessary? Also, any ideas on where to find a shoe that looks professional but feels like a sneaker (worn in flight boots)?

How does SkyWest conduct bidding? Online? Is there any commercial software that is handy or recommended?

I am sure that all of these issues are addressed in class. I am just attempting to get a head start on these "details" while I concentrate on more pressing tasks at hand. Thanks in advance for any info!

Hey,
I have been with Skywest for 3+ years, currently in the CRJ.
Take a good calculator, your headset, and a flight bag of some sort.
Uniforms are provided.
Prepare for class by having your life squared away so you don't have any distractions.
enjoy
eric

Hey,
I have been with Skywest for 3+ years, currently in the CRJ.
Take a good calculator, your headset, and a flight bag of some sort.
Uniforms are provided.
Prepare for class by having your life squared away so you don't have any distractions.
enjoy
eric

Congratualtions on selection for class.

Pilot supplies:
You will carry around your Flight Operations Manual (FOM, SOP, OPSPECS) Jeppesons (a 2" binder for the overall system and a 1" binder for current use plates is a common solution for Brasilia pilots), a headset, flashlight, and other not required items like calculator, back-up energy snacks, flight log, etc. Most find that a soft side case works best and you will see some examples of this in ground school.

Uniforms:
Select a shirt with real pocket flaps which provide the necessary strength to support your name pin worn on the flap. You will see examples of these in ground school.

Shoe has to be shineable black and must have a heel no more than 1" high. Boots may be worn as long as they are not the pointy type and do not create a bulge in the pant leg.

Line bidding is not done until completion of IOE AND in the monthly bidding period (10-17th of the month). That is done online with no special software beyond normal internet requirements.

One of the more pressing tasks at hand will be to have all the bold limitations sent to you in the Welcome Aboard packet memorized. There will be a test at the end of the first day. I know you are already working on those.

Pintarski-

First off, welcome to SkyWest. :)

Pilot Supplies - Calculator, Headset, and a flight bag. During ground school you will have the chance to order a softside flight bag with the SkyWest logo on it. Softside seems to work best in the Brasilia and hardside for the RJ.

Uniforms - Pretty sure they are not provided. I have also been with SkyWest 3+ years. We had to pay for them. After a year you start getting a uniform allowance. In ground school you will be provided with information on ordering uniforms. We have some kind of deal set up with Cintas Uniforms (www.uty.com). Also in ground school you will also have the chance to order a leather pilots jacket. The leather jackets are VERY nice, you can check them out at www.perroneleather.com. They seem to be the choice of most pilots here. Kind of pricey though, I think they are around $325.

Bidding - Its all done online now. No special software is needed. You will be shown in ground school how to log on to the system from home - very easy!

Any other questions just ask. :)

CRJDriver - SkyWest Lifer :D

Congrats,

You will like it here. What Andy said about the flight bag is right on. The 2 2"binders and 1 1" binder is all you need plus headset, and flashlight. In the EMB a soft side works best for a bag. I recomend the Cencal Sierra bag. www.cencal.com Its a perfect fit.

Shirts. No good answear. White and has to be able to have eppaulits(sp). Plenty of places on the web. No you will not be supplied anything for uniform. You need to buy it except the name tag and wings and hat emblem.

Bidding-done on line at work or at home. there is only 60 lines in SLC(EMB CA & FO) , which means it doesn't take long to bid. No special software needed.

Also another bit of advice. know your limitations, and get into your static training ASAP.

the shirts I wear are Landerwood brand. Made by a guy in CLT. About 30$ per shirt but a real professional shirt. I have had vanheusens, crewgear, etc and these are the best. do a google search under "landerwood pilot shirts"

try www.stopoverstore.com

Latest resources

Back