Welcome to Flightinfo.com

  • Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Op Specs question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

  • Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web


Your wife's boyfriend
Dec 1, 2001
Our op. specs limit us to the US and Canada only. We want to add Mexico, the Caribbean, Bahamas, basically all of the Islands. We will be talking with our POI about it, but I'm not so sure he knows everything we need to do to make it happen. He can help us add these countries, but he doesn't know that much about making us legal to operate in and out of these places.

What documentation will we need? I know we'll need Mexican insurance, which we already have. I think we need an AIP from each country? What else?

I sound like an idiot because I'm completely ignorant on how to add these countries. Our op. specs were written 15 years ago with no intention of the company going international (except for Canada). Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'll be researching the issue in the next few weeks, but a heads-up would be great. Thanks....

International 135

One thing you'll need is a permit to operate a charter service in Mexico. You can talk to International Corporate/Cargo Services (ICCS) ... well no you can't ... I just checked their web address and it says they are no longer in business.

I would suggest Universal in Houston as a starting point to get a Mexican permit going.

Other than that, make sure you have all the required NAV/COMM equipment for class II navigation or you will be restricted to certain routes that can be navigated via VHF only.

Your POI may require you to do a proving flight to Mexico. We just finished our proving runs for a new certificate and went to Mexico for International approval. Your POI may have done the same with Canada, but I doubt it. adding countries on after you have a certificate should be a breeze if you already have International approval. 15 years ago, flying Canada was just like the US. Nowadays, you need to do proving runs and have a training program for international ops as well as have International training. As discussed above, your FSDO should be the source for your questions and answers.
Basically you'll have to provide the FSDO with training program on international flights. Nav and radio requirements are a little different. May need approval for single long range nav and communication. In some parts of Mexico you are required both crews to be typed.

Need more insurance to fly in MX. Also pilots need FCC liscense.
If you are flying 135 you are supposed to apply for a permit to operating as a 135 operator in MX. Alot of people don't apply permit because gov't has a habit of denying these permits and now your tail # is flagged.

There is also a centeam fee (not sure if the spelling is correct) this is a fee based on wing width that gets charged only when you get fuel. This fee is for nav fee's.

Good Luck
Thanks everybody. Talked with Universal today and they sent me all I could ever want about Mexican operations. It worked out well.
For operations outside of the US your operation will need an international training program which your pilots will need to complete. Your POI will need to approve the training program. As far as the Class II navigation you will have to demonstrate that on a flight which would involve a flight portion requiring Class II nav.
The permit for Mexico is a Mexican Blanket permit. This is a tedious process since the Mexican DGAC requires a notarized Op Specs, notarized Air Carrier Cert., notarized Articles of Incorporation, Original Mexican insurance document from your insurance provider, notarized articles of organization, then money to pay each fee that is required. There may be a couple of other pieces of paperwork, but this is the bulk of it. Each year you will have to pay certain fees to keep your certificate legal.
You will need to contact Nav Canada and the Transporation department of Canada in order to be properly approved to fly into Canada. It's funny, your POI can list it in your Op Specs as being approved to fly into Canada, but it is up to you to ensure that you are meeting the requirements of Canada.
Anyways, hope this helps.
Do not forget that Mexico requries both pilots to be type rated ... if you are going to be using the Be-400

Latest resources